Parallax mapping - fundamental bug?

@survivor said: @nehon: There are only two solutions:
  1. Change handedness in TBG as it was in RC2.
  • no shader has to change
  • models with saved tangents stay compatible
  • you have to dig into TBG, which sounds like pain for you :slight_smile:
  1. Change handedness in shaders
    pro/con: inverse of 1.

Iā€™d change it, so that models are compatible to ogre or other formats. Donā€™t know if there is a quasi standard how the tangent buffer should look like.

1 is reverting back to more issues with normal mapping. The TBG is some kind of math hell (or paradise depending of your freakishness level) and last time I kind of managed my way out of it without my eyes bleeding and a fixed issueā€¦Iā€™d rather not revert this change :stuck_out_tongue:
I basically translated from C++ changes made in Ogreā€™s TBG to handle mirrored uvs and distorted tangents. So the base was solid.

2 seems like the way to go ā€¦ We have a normal.y = -normal.y line commented in and out since a long time fluctuating with the changes to the TBG. Iast time we removed it because thatā€™s one more operation per pixel that can be avoided by reverting the green channel in the normal mapā€¦butā€¦if you have a large number of assetā€¦going through all normal maps and inverting the green channel can be very painfulā€¦
So I guess the -normal.y thing is the safest routeā€¦
Iā€™d like to hear what @Momoko_Fan, and @pspeed think of this.

So this has nothing to do with parallax mapping and only to do with normal mapping?

I liked the change that fixed the flip problem. It seemed weird to have to do an extra step to every normal mapā€¦ so I didnā€™t mind regenerating a few of them.

@survivor said: Ok, the problem is the "handedness" of the tangent which should normally come in "inTangent.w".

Changing line 174 of ā€œLighting.vertā€ from
[java]
mat3 tbnMat = mat3(wvTangent, wvBinormal * -inTangent.w,wvNormal);
[/java]
to
[java]
mat3 tbnMat = mat3(wvTangent, wvBinormal * inTangent.w, wvNormal);
[/java]
fixes the problem.

The question @devs, @nehon is: Did the handedness change accidentally or by purpose? (TangentBinormalGenerator.java)

Actually, if this is the patch we say is working then this seems like the right one as the -inTangent.w thing always seemed like a hack to me. Like, ā€œWell, TBG seems to be giving us the opposite of what we need so weā€™ll invert it.ā€

ā€¦I think I removed that minus from my own shaders a long time ago.

@pspeed said: Actually, if this is the patch we say is working then this seems like the right one as the -inTangent.w thing always seemed like a hack to me. Like, "Well, TBG seems to be giving us the opposite of what we need so we'll invert it."

ā€¦I think I removed that minus from my own shaders a long time ago.

Yeah that too :p.
The real fix is to apply survivor change AND to invert the normal y value. So no operation will be needed on normal maps, butā€¦weā€™ll have that additional operation once per fragment. Thatā€™s no big deal IMOā€¦but still.

@nehon said: Yeah that too :p. The real fix is to apply survivor change AND to invert the normal y value. So no operation will be needed on normal maps, but....we'll have that additional operation once per fragment. That's no big deal IMO...but still.

Compared to all of the other stuffā€¦ I doubt that little multiply will make any difference.

Yeah, also I found a way to make it free
replacing

vec3 normal = normalize((normalHeight.xyz * vec3(2.0) - vec3(1.0)));

with

vec3 normal = normalize((normalHeight.xyz * vec3(2.0,-2.0,2.0) - vec3(1.0,-1.0,1.0)));

Iā€™ll just drop a big comment so that we donā€™t go ā€œWTF is that??ā€ in one year :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Ok I committed the fix.
@Perjin and @survivor thanks a lot for your help on this issue.

4 Likes

N1ce! Iā€™ll adjust my stuff accordingly.

@nehon said: Ok I committed the fix. @Perjin and @survivor thanks a lot for your help on this issue.

Does my ugly testModel look ok with this fix? I mean Seamms on mirrored UVs. Or i need to test it?

@mifth said: Does my ugly testModel look ok with this fix? I mean Seamms on mirrored UVs. Or i need to test it?
yes it does, as scary as usual, but no seam ;)
@nehon said: yes it does, as scary as usual, but no seam ;)

Cool! :slight_smile: