Pirate Hell v2

On deck, pirates!

I’ve implemented the execution of missions. Now there can happen various things instead of: spawn-enemies-until-the-player-killed-enough.

Here’s a little demonstration:

http://youtu.be/BGMC97xqc2g

And if somebody is interested in statistics:

current codeline-count: ca. 7100
current class-file count: 104
assets-count: 53

Also I've updated the indieDB-site.

edit: ... oh and it's raining^^
5 Likes

Seriously pretty :slight_smile: Cool stuff. Is that “forester” in action there with those trees?

Very nice! :smiley:

@normen: Nope, I implemented some asset-functionality into the graph-builder. It’s everytime the same palm-tree, but rotated and scaled by random values. So it look like there are various trees.

Are you generating the maps or are they fixed? Random mission generation done well could certainly add variety and it looks like it should be achievable on that sort of map with the right constraints.

That looks like great fun! Will you be able to customize ships, add cannons to the front/back, more decks, sails, etc?

@zarch: no, there are created by hand. Random creation would be cool but it’s really difficult to generate the bounding-polygons for the isles (see the image from the first post)

@Sploreq: definitly yes. There will be different ship types you can choose from and much equipment to upgrade your ship.

Tricky maybe, I can think of at least one algorithm that would work though and it doesn’t need to be super-fast since it is done once at map creation. In fact both these algorithms would also apply: http://softsurfer.com/Archive/algorithm_0109/algorithm_0109.htm

My first thought was that it would probably be enough to create the initial stage of a convex hull if you just selected each point around the edge of the island and joined them into a chain and then picked a point and went around the chain clockwise. If the angle of the point is less than 180 delete that point, join the adjacent points and then go back to the previous point and repeat.

Any of those algorithms are going to produce a more complex polygon than needed though so some sort of “simplify” step would then be needed. Again that could be as simple as removing angles below a certain threshold although it would also require moving the adjoining points out so the line between them is now outside the point it was just removed from.

Just a thought though, your game is looking pretty epic already :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, guys,

currently I’m moving to a new apartement and I’m living in chaos. So it will take some days to go back to the serious business (I mean pirateHell ^^ )

Oh and I have a musician for the soundtrack. Thanks @normen for the support and the contact.

greetz

ceiphren

2 Likes

Good luck man! Hope we hear more from you.

Just wanted to mention that I’m back at work. Next things are GUI, Upgrades and more graphical stuff.

2 Likes

This project looks very promising! Definitely wanna play the first available version

Arrr, now our crew got a home.

This is not final and it needs a lot of detail work but it shows the idea how the menu should work.

12 Likes

Nice, already looking pretty slick :slight_smile:

Awesome!!!

Wow, that’s beautiful - you’re really good with graphics!

Looting is everything!

Hope to see updates soon :wink:

Nasty… If I saw that screen shot on the back of a box i would definitely drop 20 bucks for the game…

@kbender88: hehehe, fortunately the price for the game will not be that high.^^

Wow! You are a nifty magician!