Pirate Hell v2

Corsairs with 3D? You, mister, are going to be my hero!

Greetings everybody.

Currently there is nothing really interesting to share. I’ve did a bunch of backend-work and userdata-management. Currently the player is able to buy buildings, upgrade ships and start a mission.

My current task is to create an ingame-ui so the player is able to see the stats of the ship. Also I’m researching ways to implement a gamepad-navigation into the menu. It seems to be a little tricky 'cause nifty doesn’t react to gamepad-events.

Btw. have I ever told that nifty is awesome? Custom effects? custom components? Everythings possible.

So all in all progress is given. Not as fast as I hoped but it’s there.

Oh and the music the composers delivered is just (f-word) awesome! You’ll here it in the next video.

And don’t forget! 19. september is talk-like-a-pirate-day.

ARRRR!

1 Like

Thats great to hear, I’ll try and record the rest of the main theme choir for the video even if theres no additional tracks 'til then to record choir for as well.

@ceiphren said:
It seems to be a little tricky 'cause nifty doesn't react to gamepad-events.

You should be able to substitute the nifty input manager with your own I think, check how the NiftyAppState sets up the inputmanager.

On board! We’ve got some things that’s worth to call it treasurrres!

Currently I have a rough time in real life and things took longer than I wish. But Nethertheless pirateHell will master these stormy sea.

Big words, eh? But I have proof!

I present you the ui-system, the functional menu and (and this is the really cool part): music!

http://youtu.be/O0QEr-KcKhU

Now that 90% of the basics are finished, the fun-part begins: I have to create boss-models, new effects, staged boss-fights, missions and so on and so on.

And there's this funny idea of a little mini-game. We'll see what's going to be possible.

Again (and again and again) thanks to normen for the support at the music-part. We've got some great composers which are doing an incredible job.

So long

ceiphren
11 Likes

Incredible job. The music fits perfectly in, the UI is great. 10/10

Totally and absolutely gorgeous…!!!

I had a chill when you zoom out off the crescent island.

Really great work

This just looks awesome, really great job! Can’t wait to sink some ships ^^

The music sounds a bit broken in the video for some reason (video application import? my video player plugin?) but its good to hear the mix still works nonetheless :wink: @all expect more awesome music to come for Pirate Hell, this was only a glimpse of the main theme, the composers and me are really having a great time with this :smiley:

I’m really excited to play this! When can I pre-order? :slight_smile:

Wohow, 100 ratings :smiley:

@normen: Hm, I hadn’t heard that. I converted the mp3 to ogg, than fraps recorded it and the video-tool converted it to wmv. So it could be that some of the quality was lost. I think next time, I’ll include the music afterwards to minimize these problems.

@Sploreg: pre-order will take some time. Currently there’s too much work left. But an alpha-demo is in sight.

@ceiphren said:
I converted the mp3 to ogg, than fraps recorded it and the video-tool converted it to wmv. So it could be that some of the quality was lost.

omg xD probably, yes ;)

@normen: Now I hear that, too. I’ll re-upload that with a new audio-layer.

Great work as usual. :smiley:

@ceiphren said:
@normen: Hm, I hadn't heard that. I converted the mp3 to ogg, than fraps recorded it and the video-tool converted it to wmv. So it could be that some of the quality was lost. I think next time, I'll include the music afterwards to minimize these problems.

Maybe you guys did ear a problem because you know the original version, but it does give a nice result for a quick preview video.
Don't waste your time on that @ceiphren
@nehon said:
Maybe you guys did ear a problem because you know the original version

Listen to the cymbal hits, the channel "caves in" somehow.
@normen said:
Listen to the cymbal hits, the channel "caves in" somehow.

Yes, what I meant is, the music reached its goal to give an epic feeling to the video. Re-encoding it and post another video is not necessary IMO.
As long as the in-game music sounds good ;)
1 Like

fantastic @ceiphren, looks amazing. I’m working through these sorts of UI’s now myself, you’ve done a really great job.

And grats on the music @normen, it really is a cut above.

I’m drooling something fierce… Really impressive work, especially considering what you started with less than a year ago!

Small Update today.

I’ve finished the player-ship-models (20% of the work) and will start now with the textures (80% of the work).

The ships will require different fighting strategies (at least I hope so):

The small ship is fast. So you can dance around your enemies, make them crazy and hit them like a angry wasp.

The medium ship is an allrounder. It’s fast enough to hunt smaller vessels, but has enough firepower and health to stand a time against stronger enemies.

The large ship will lighten the sea. It has enough firepower to take out a whole fleet in no time and it’s heavy armour is able to make it a real thread for every smaller ship.

4 Likes

Man you are really talented, I wanna put them in a bottle :wink:

1 Like

Want to do some modelling for me? :smiley: