Possible variable checking (autochecking) bug in loop

Started using jMP today and I happened to notice something weird. In the loop below I always get the following error:

“Possible loss of precision, required: int, found double”

Here’s the code:

[java] private void create_elliptical_galaxy(double num)

{

if(Global.stars.length < num) { // create new stars

for(double i = 0; i<num; i++) {

Star ns = new Star();

Global.stars = ns.Star(

((Math.random() * Global.universe_size) - Global.universe_size_half),

((Math.random() * Global.universe_size) - Global.universe_size_half),

((Math.random() * Global.universe_size) - Global.universe_size_half));

}

}

}[/java]

To “fix” the problem, all you have to do is change:

[java]for(double i = 0; i<num; i++) {[/java]

to

[java]for(int i = 0; i<num; i++) {[/java]

The error goes away.

But that’s not a fix. Generating stars for a galaxy will take a lot more than what an Interger can take. For now it’s not a problem since I can easily use an int for testing purposes.

I have looked into the forums and couldn’t find a report stating that. Sorry if my eyes deceived me. Also, I know some projects use a “Bug list software or website” but I didn’t find an indication of that for jMP. If there is, I will gladly fill it in.

Anyway, I hope this can help someone.

Uh, the bug is not in jMP but in your code. The “double” is a 64bit floating point value, an array cannot have a floating point index. “long” is a 64bit integer value.

Cheers,

Normen

The loop is fine, take a look at which line the error occurs and you’ll see that thats the case.

The issue is that you can’t use a double as an array index, its in this line:

Code:
Global.stars[i] = ...
Cast it to an int
Code:
Global.stars[ (int) i ] = ...
normen said:
Uh, the bug is not in jMP but in your code. The "double" is a 64bit floating point value, an array cannot have a floating point index. "long" is a 64bit integer value.
Cheers,
Normen

Yeah, you're right. Silly me. No idea why I choked on that one.

Although you're right, I'm wondering if the jMP could give a better explanation. Or a warning right away about the assignment of a double to an array.
Momoko_Fan said:
The loop is fine, take a look at which line the error occurs and you'll see that thats the case.
The issue is that you can't use a double as an array index, its in this line:
Code:
Global.stars[i] = ...
Cast it to an int
Code:
Global.stars[ (int) i ] = ...

I'm not sure if casting would be the best idea here. I will instead use BigInteger as I just noticed that I was using Double elsewhere where I shouldn't. I guess I've been careless. *sigh*.