Problem with GLTF/GLB file in blender

Today I have put the little planet of Unga Munga into the Ice Age, making it a more hospitable place for the mammoths I am expecting.

But I run into a problem with loading GLB files in Blender. I have a 3D file that came in seperate FBX files - one for every animation. I used the Character Animation Combiner - love that tool - to combine them into a single GLTF file. It only exports GLTF and GLB.

But when I load the GLTF into Blender, no matter what setting I try, it gets imported distorted.

I need the file in Blender because I need to modify it, create proper UV’s and paint a texture. Does anyone know how to fix problems like this?

(For those interested in the marvelous tool CAC: Character Animation Combiner - this guy should get a Noble Prize)

1 Like

You might try these to see where the problem is originating from:

1. Check transforms.
    Are any objects unexpectedly translated, rotated, or scaled?

2. Try importing the original model into Blender.
    Does that import correctly?

Note that Blender is capable of doing the same things CAC does, so if you’re unable to resolve this, you can always fall back on Blender.

2 Likes

Rotations were the keyword here: allthough every object had the original transform, it turned out that rotating the Mesh -90% around the x-axis solved everything. The distortion is gone now and I was able to do my thing and export the mammoth to GLB.

Note that Blender is capable of doing the same things CAC does, so if you’re unable to resolve this, you can always fall back on Blender.

I know that Blender is capable, but I am not. I should take some time to dive into NLA, actions and all that stuff. And I have never found a good tutorial on how to do this - most tutorials assume I am not a novice when it comes to Blender.

1 Like

yes, before exporting or on exporter param i always use “apply all” (manually ctrl-a - apply all)

But question is if someone will use raw-downloaded models without applied transforms, then issue appear.

btw: Anyway i suggest everyone to use GLTF instead of GLB because of technical reasons(global caching reasons) - it will be fixed a little in next release but GLTF still is better in this area anyway.

1 Like