Question about Shader Editor

Some progress, yes. I’ve been away for a week so not much has happened since the last update.

A couple of issues;

• I can’t use the LightPosition and LightColor WorldParams. Maybe they’re not set in the editor.
  • I rely heavily on Defines for the textures (as does PBRLighting). The alternative would mean a lot of nodes. The problem is that the editor deletes any Defines when you change the layout. This makes it improbable that PbrNodes can be used to any great extent in the current version of the SDK.
  • The editor has become unresponsive to textual changes. I need to close and reopen the SDK. This was not an issue earlier in the development.

I still haven’t looked into LightProbes.

As @oxplay2 pointed out, “it looks really ‘big’”. That’s unfortunately a side effect of the current ShaderNode system. You need to build things from the ground up. I believe the discussion in the other ShaderNode thread was about being able to create pieces of shader nodes that could be put together in a hierarchical structure. That would make things simpler.

Still, I think there is potential in the editor. Even if “Group Nodes” would require quite a lot of work, if you could just zoom out more, you could structure your nodes in groups. Maybe add labels.
Then being able to tweak MatParams in the graphical ui would help a lot.
Generators, for procedural textures would make for a powerful ShaderEditor.

5 Likes