Question to Jme+Eclipse users

Hello eclipse users i am currently evaluating the possibility to move lot of my jme development back to eclipse.

Without starting a flamewar, there are serious reasons to me to move back to my favorite ide.

-Git- plugin of netbeans does not really work. (I cannot push a new branch for example)

-The last update to RC deleted all my referenced library’s, svn links and so on.

-I am using the engine from svn, so i am not bound to the update center.

-I am using my own world editor (at least i will once it is finnished)

Beside that i will probably use the jmp for packing and stuff.

Here are the questions:

How do you manage assets in eclipse? (Is it possible to have more then one asset folder without going the assetpack route)

What are the possibility’s writing contribution plugins in eclipse

Have you experience in using the same project in eclipse and netbeans? (Netbeans checks out the master and packs it)

@zzuegg said:-Git- plugin of netbeans does not really work. (I cannot push a new branch for example)
-The last update to RC deleted all my referenced library's, svn links and so on.
-I am using the engine from svn, so i am not bound to the update center.
-I am using my own world editor (at least i will once it is finnished)

a) Can't really reproduce that?
b) It didn't delete anything, its all there in your 3.0beta. As the release post says it creates a new settings folder, you can try copy over whatever you want to keep.
c) The SDK is not about the update center but about the concise project format for jME3 projects and the resulting ability to make editors, distribution tools and stuff like that.
d) Why? There were like a bazillion world editors for jME2, none even half as far as what the SDK editors are now.
@normen said:
a) Can't really reproduce that?
b) It didn't delete anything, its all there in your 3.0beta. As the release post says it creates a new settings folder, you can try copy over whatever you want to keep.
c) The SDK is not about the update center but about the concise project format for jME3 projects and the resulting ability to make editors, distribution tools and stuff like that.
d) Why? There were like a bazillion world editors for jME2, none even half as far as what the SDK editors are now.

a) Git-Server gives me always a Server Error (500) when i do that, using for example TortoiseGit, the action works fine. (I tryed on both, github and my private git server), Also the merge option is a bit limited, (I have not found a way to merge non fast forward)

b) missed that, my fault :(

c) I have nothing against the sdk, i used it now since i started with jme. The project management is quite fine, and as i said, i am currently only evaluating the option to move back.

d) I am moving to a database based terrain, beside that i am not using heightmap based terrain which makes the SDK-Terrain editor quite useless. Jeah, the SDK editor offer a lot of features which i have to implement in the maploader/controller, and they even works pretty good.
So in general the editor works fine if you use the other stuff which comes with jme. (Of course i could have written my own netbeans plugin, but using my way i can distribuite the map editor, allowing the creation of usermaps without having them install the SDK)

c) How will you edit particles for example? :wink:

d) You can make plugins for the SDK and the scene editor, saving you from the effort of implementing all the mouse input, threading between AWT/SWT and the GL thread, undo etc. yourself. Doing an editor based on eclipse would be at least as much of an undertaking than the SDK itself and I know what that means :slight_smile: I had to wait more than half a year for some things in the engine to change so I could improve some things etc. Also by now theres the ProjectAssetManager and stuff that makes accessing and managing your assets in the project much easier (including a live classpath from the project etc). All this stuff is quite hard to implement in eclipse, I checked :slight_smile: Are you sure you’d have an easier time doing this as eclipse plugins? Or are you only knowing you can code faster in eclipse? :wink:

Actually I am working on the SDK and a new way to make scene editors right now because I want to do an example editor for a company. Theres so much stuff thats already implemented its such a big help, I’d never want to rewrite all this from scratch.

When we set out to create an SDK like this I said that I’d also code an Eclipse version if that had been created first by somebody, it wasn’t :slight_smile: So its the NetBeans platform now, dividing the attention and resources between two editors is utter nonsense, just because of some fanboy shit, come on… :frowning: Even if you can code 100x faster in Eclipse, thats still no reason to do an editor with it, especially when its already done elsewhere :wink:

@normen said:
c) How will you edit particles for example? ;)
d) You can make plugins for the SDK and the scene editor, saving you from the effort of implementing all the mouse input, threading between AWT/SWT and the GL thread, undo etc. yourself. Doing an editor based on eclipse would be at least as much of an undertaking than the SDK itself and I know what that means :) I had to wait more than half a year for some things in the engine to change so I could improve some things etc. Also by now theres the ProjectAssetManager and stuff that makes accessing and managing your assets in the project much easier (including a live classpath from the project etc). All this stuff is quite hard to implement in eclipse, I checked :) Are you sure you'd have an easier time doing this as eclipse plugins? Or are you only knowing you can code faster in eclipse? ;)

Actually I am working on the SDK and a new way to make scene editors right now because I want to do an example editor for a company. Theres so much stuff thats already implemented its such a big help, I'd never want to rewrite all this from scratch.

When we set out to create an SDK like this I said that I'd also code an Eclipse version if that had been created first by somebody, it wasn't :) So its the NetBeans platform now, dividing the attention and resources between two editors is utter nonsense, just because of some fanboy shit, come on.. :( Even if you can code 100x faster in Eclipse, thats still no reason to do an editor with it, especially when its already done elsewhere ;)

You probably got me wrong, i am making a stand alone editor. Just as any default JME game, but it allows only editing/creating levels.
@zzuegg said:
You probably got me wrong, i am making a stand alone editor. Just as any default JME game, but it allows only editing/creating levels.

Yeah, an in-game editor would use nifty etc. and generally work different, also create pretty specific data that cannot be used for other jme applications. For any swing-based editor or similar external tool used during game development everything I say holds true :)
@zzuegg said:
How do you manage assets in eclipse? (Is it possible to have more then one asset folder without going the assetpack route)

In my setup I have several projects for assets besides a main project. The main project just references one or more asset projects.

one way is to use a Classpathlocator and add thea sset folder as src folder.

Alternativly use aFile based asset locator and give it the folder of your assets.

Also the git plugin for eclipse is shit, it reproducable fucked up my history when using extensive branching. I reverted to using the console and with that everything works as intended.

1 Like

Hm, i simply can store the assets where i want in any library i want, as long i load it trought the right path. Seems the assetManager does all i need already. Normen seems to be a good magician.

I setup a gitlabhq, and i have currently no more issues with both (netbeans and exlipse) as long as i merge my brances on the server. It works even better since it automatically merges non fast forward. Looks good up to now. If the bugtracker and the wiki would be public i could even use the build in features in alpha/beta tests