Reasons to use jmonkey over a C++ or python-based engine? (to win an arguement!) Help me win!

@normen said:
*sigh* Why would they? As soon as you pay for the SDK you are basically allowed to do anything that does not mess with sony's stuff as long as it makes your game work.

Well, when my game is finished or near to the end I'll look into this. Only thing I cannot crossplatform those platforms with exception for Steam.
@shirkit said:
Well, when my game is finished or near to the end I'll look into this. Only thing I cannot crossplatform those platforms with exception for Steam.

I think you can if you do your servers on your own.. Like I think Final Fantasy Online let PC and PS3 play together.

Iā€™m out of date, as I bought the game Dungeon Defenders and it is cross platform.

Iā€™m sorry to jump on that wagon so late in the discussion, but nanoseconds, hell milliseconds of runtime difference are irrelevant if development time has to be doubled.

Back in the day Java was the slowpoke language of the computing world (as far as game programming language goes), nobody will argue that, nowadays, itā€™s minimal and in some areas itā€™s better.

But, technicalities about the languages differences are also irrelevant. What is important is that you already know Java, moreover, you like it! :smiley: Whereas, if you donā€™t know C++, learning it will add months and months of learning from pretty much nothing.

If your friend is so stoked about using C++ tell him to learn it. The decision is yours as youā€™re the head programmer. If the result is less than perfect then thereā€™s something obviously wrong somewhere in the import/export/3D model (Maybe this is all his fault :O) There are several threads here with pretty darn good models made by artist in this community (the dancing Japanese girl is the one that pops up).

If Java is good enough for NASA and some of their spacecraft, thatā€™s good enough for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lets all remember the ā€œdesignerā€ wanted to use blender game engine hereā€¦ with python :wink: So lets all collectively laugh about him (and about all C++ devs hunting memory bugs right now ;)) and go on coding our games :smiley:

@normen said:
Lets all remember the "designer" wanted to use blender game engine here.. with python ;) So lets all collectively laugh about him (and about all C++ devs hunting memory bugs right now ;)) and go on coding our games :D

In my case, just trying!
@shirkit said:
In my case, just trying!

For a few exception, it's the case for most of us. ;)
@normen said:
Lets all remember the "designer" wanted to use blender game engine here.. with python ;) So lets all collectively laugh about him (and about all C++ devs hunting memory bugs right now ;)) and go on coding our games :D

remember about Pearl fans, who make:

http://www.foo.be/docs/tpj/issues/vol5_1/tpj0501-0012.html

:D i just want tell.. if someone like his language, he will own it

i hope we are not so crazy...
So lets all collectively laugh about him (and about all C++ devs hunting memory bugs right now)

Agreed, Java may be slightly slower than C++, it's soooo much easier and cleaner to program, I couldn't recommend anything else :)
@ozonegrif said:
Agreed, Java may be slightly slower than C++, it's soooo much easier and cleaner to program, I couldn't recommend anything else :)

..than C++ compiled for the exact architecture it will be run on, they didn't have to set any platform specific compilation options for the java application :) Thats what I meant, you cannot (really) compare _languages_ (per se), only compiled code that is executed on a CPU.