Recycler bone weight testing

A short clip on the w.i.p Recycler model, testing bones and vertex weight before continuing on with the UV maps.

Clip Here.

Edit: none of the bones used scaling :slight_smile:

Heh, cool :slight_smile: Works in jME too already?

I could make an ogre export once I make an opening and closing animation for testing purposes for you if you like. I haven’t setup animation controls with jME yet ;(

When you import the model you should see the AnimControl, select it and you can select the animations in a dropdown in the properties window to check if they work properly.

Hmm this is what I get when trying to export, I couldn’t copy the console text so I took a screen shot of the messages.

Hm, is your skeleton linked to the object? Did you read the pdf on blender anim export in the hello assets wiki page?

Looking over it now :slight_smile:

Hmm I’m not sure what is happening here. I have the Armature linked to the Mesh via a Modifier. I looked over the Ogre export help file, and have the modifier for the Mesh set to:

Armature, VertGroups and B-Bone.

Hehe Works fine in jME :slight_smile: I had to un click the apply modifiers button in the OgreXML exporter…

The animation plays in the platform via the animation controller :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool, but is that a hires mesh now? Or is it a normal map generated from a hires mesh? How many triangles is it now?

The mesh is currently contains 4348 Tri Polys. This is just the base mesh so far, No real UV or Normal mapping, just using an ambient occlusion UV map, and default OgreXML setting to do the animation render test in jMP. Still have to make the UV maps and spec, normal, diffuse and glow. After a bit more model tweaking.

About the animations, what all animations would you like this vehicle to have? I plan on making new animation for the opening and closing the bay doors, as this was mainly a test so far for the vertex weight and the armature rigging.

Opening/closing the bay should be enough, the vehicle movements are handled by the engine.

Maybe you could reduce the number of polygons used for the jacks, i guess they use most of the 4300 tri of the model

New vid here:Open and close sample.

nehon said:
Opening/closing the bay should be enough, the vehicle movements are handled by the engine.

Maybe you chould reduce the number of polygons used for the jacks, i guess they use most of the 4300 tri of the model

Is there to many polys in the vehicle?

You use a lot of poly for the jacks, but they are not very likely to be displayed a lot (not at all when the bay is closed, and not at close range). So reducing the number of polygons for them could make the model lighter, or, allow you to add more details on the bay, or the truck itself (like a step for the driver, or some rear view mirrors etc…)

4300 tri is good, but you are near the 5k “limit”, and that’s too bad that the majority of those polygons are used for secondary parts of the vehicle.

The animation looks good, nice work :wink:

nehon said:
You use a lot of poly for the jacks, but they are not very likely to be displayed a lot (not at all when the bay is closed, and not at close range). So reducing the number of polygons for them could make the model lighter, or, allow you to add more details on the bay, or the truck itself (like a step for the driver, or some rear view mirrors etc...)

4300 tri is good, but you are near the 5k "limit", and that's too bad that the majority of those polygons are used for secondary parts of the vehicle.

The animation looks good, nice work ;)

Thanks, still tweaking the model mesh and the UV layout, had a few non-manifold's in the geom, so had to rebuild a few sections. I'll also look into more of the poly reduction algorithms when I get more detail in as requested :) Still a w.i.p.

wait wait wait. Don’t don’t EVER use the decimate modifier in blender! this will completely screw up your mesh, because it triangulates every polygon.

IMO there is no good poly reduction algorithm that make a nice mesh. What i usually do is deleting vertices and rebuild faces by hand. Of course…it’s pretty long :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree, I have been rebuilding the model by hand in certain areas :slight_smile: And I wouldn’t use decimate since it’s a modifier. But maybe when I make it to more of a complete stage, i’ll experiment with one of the reduction scripts as a final pass :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t recommend using the reduction scripts, they can screw up things such as UV, normals, etc not to mention the actual shape of the model. Also the default configuration for the non unsubsurf one is terrible you have to change it. I have only had success with them on fairly simple models like a bunch of connected tubes and stuff.

I think one easy way of reducing verts is by using retopology tool

Beginning setup for diffuse map and setup for the rest of the texture mapping:

2 Likes

Cool, gotta get back to coding MZ soon :smiley:

Most stuff is there really, next step will be ballistic projectiles and then its already up for gameplay/ai… Hope @sploreg fixes terrain saving/loading soon and @sbook can fix the SpiderMonkey errors… Then some fierce battles for resources can begin :smiley: