Replacement of infographics

Due to the fact that the graphics DOS is outdated. I propose to replace in the article: https://jmonkeyengine.github.io/wiki/jme3/advanced/custom_meshes.html

I prepared new infographics:

1 Like

Shame on me, but i dont get the second graphic.

Ah, it shows the indexing… but then one of the triangles would be facing in the oposing direction if they are not winded in the same direction.

It’s wrong in the ascii graphics, too.

as it says “The 1,3,2 triangle start at bottom right, continues top right, and ends at top left.”, so it’s arrow that’s wrong

The video card does not distinguish: 0 1 2 - 1 2 3 or 2 0 1 - 2 3 1

Triangle 1 is clockwise triangle 2 counterclockwise. One of them will be invisible when faceculling is used.

And btw it’s clearly stated in there: The important thing is that you have to specify the vertices of each triangle in the right order: Each triangle separately, counter-clockwise.[quote=“AdiDOS, post:5, topic:38592”]
The video card does not distinguish
[/quote]

And btw in your beloved 3DS Max, if you explored it enough, you should probably have a chance to notice “Force 2-sided” checkbox in rendering dialog. That’s exactly about it.

I’m with Panda3D, I have not seen any problems. However, jME3 can use another mesh bypass rule. I personally check, myself.

How does 3D Max fit here?

I also wrote my exporter from the blender to the Panda3D engine. You are teaching me …

It’s not me, it’s them.

<CoordinateSystem> { Z-Up }

<Comment> { "Exporter Hatcher version 0.3" }

<Group>  Plane {
 <Scalar> collide-mask { 1048575 }
 <Scalar> from-collide-mask { 1048575 }
 <Scalar> into-collide-mask { 1048575 }
 <VertexPool> Plane {
  <Vertex> 0 { -1 -1 0 
  }
  <Vertex> 1 { 1 -1 0 
  }
  <Vertex> 2 { 1 1 0 
  }
  <Vertex> 3 { -1 1 0 
  }
 }

<Polygon> 0 { 
  <Normal> { 0 0 1 }
  <VertexRef> { 0 1 2  <Ref> { Plane } }
  <VertexRef> { 1 2 3  <Ref> { Plane } }

}
}

Can you check? Smart ass.

Let’s see what the official documentation say: Face Culling - OpenGL Wiki

Edit: its late here, i cant even make a quad from the exported file.

But to the topic, replacing the ascii are would be a nice thing.

You are right, if do not use the snake when traversing the grid, b by the rule of the square.

I’ll fix it.

Done

Just how is it wrong?

int [] indexes = { 2,0,1, 1,3,2 };

2\2--3
| \  | Counter-clockwise
|  \ |
0--1\1

Starting from top left corner(2) and running counter-clockwise matches the array.

The conversation was about the old picture

I see, Paul threw me when said the Ascii graphic was also wrong. I took that to mean the wiki.

I see the Ascii as less confusing myself, simplistic and to the point. I would recommend a minor change to the first one though.

(0,3,0)----------(3,3,0)
      | \        |
      |   \      |
      |     \    |
      |       \  |
      |         \|
(0,0,0)----------(3,0,0)

I actually just misunderstood what it was saying. It was providing a diagram for the text… and not really explaining anything on its own.

Edit: and note: I’m actually fine with the ascii art. Sometimes it’s useful to cut-paste it as a comment in your source code when you are still a mesh-noob.