Rising World, open world sandbox game

Hi folks,

today I want to show you the newest update. Among some bugfixes, it introduces new objects and a new feature: Doors. They’re admirably suited for opening or closing :wink:

The update will be applied automatically when you start the launcher.

For further informations, you can take a look at our forum: Changelog

3 Likes

Hello,

congratz for your work :slight_smile:

I’m really fan of the way you manage ground carving, with networking capabilities

Keep it up !

1 Like

Thanks, man! :wink:

I also took a look at your project, CHAOS, which looks very nice, especially with enhanced textures!

1 Like

The next update is about to be released. It will add a new feature to the game: Custom images. You’ll be able to upload images from your harddrive and place them in the world. Any kind of image is supported.

Of course this is compatible with multiplayer (as long as this feature is enabled on the server you’re playing on), so other players can also see your images.

2 Likes

Aaaah yes. I miss the good old days of making “boobies traps” (literally) in Counter Strike using the picture-tagging feature. Good times were had for everyone (until the hardcore stuff started showing up…)

1 Like

exactly my thoughts! Works fine in TF2 as Spy btw. Still hilarious :3

Hey Monkeys,

sorry for my absense the last weeks :roll: :S

I want to give you an overview about the last updates :smiley:

Of course, the previously mentioned feature about “custom images” is already finished.
You find a step-by-step instruction how to use them here: http://forum.concept-game.net/index.php/Thread/28-New-Feature-Custom-Images-WIP/

The latest update introduces the ability to cut grass and also features a modified world generation algorithm. Previously, we “smoothened” the density values for our marching cubes algorithm. That led to a slightly smoother landscape, but calculating took additional time and also mixed the textures a little bit (causing grass growing on stone etc.). In addition to that, digging was relatively imprecise.
Now we no longer “extra-smooth” the density values, leading to a more structured terrain. You can also dig now with a higher precision, making in easy to excavate a construction pit for example, and - as a side effect - world generation is quite faster now.

Here you get more information: http://forum.concept-game.net/index.php/Thread/34-Cutting-grass-and-new-worldgeneration/

This update may not be the most impressive one, but it makes life easier when it comes down to constructions :wink:

Finally, two screenshots of a construction pit, and of the same pit but with walls (note that the walls are flush with the terrain):

3 Likes

I think Minecraft is in trouble.

No skill progression in game?

lol, well I’m afraid we’re still far from that, but thanks :smiley:

Currently there is no skill system, but it will come in the future. We want to combine the skill system with the context of technological progress: At the moment, you’re able to craft all items that are available, so you can craft a sword as well as a modern flashlight. We want to restrict that, so that you can only craft medieval items at the beginning, and that you need a special skill or first have to invent something like electricity to craft a chainsaw for example.

1 Like

Hi folks,

a new big feature (at least a powerful one) has been implemented and is available now: Lua scripting functionality (see changelog).

You’re now able to write custom gamemodes in Lua to influence the gameplay. You get notification of all important events (e.g. when a player places a block, or when a player dies etc.), and you have the ability to cancel an event, preventing its execution (cancelling a “block place” event prevents the block to be placed, cancelling a “player died” event causes the player to stay alive etc.).

Of course you also have access to a load of functions, for example to change the player’s health, or to spawn an item. A special case is the ability to create custom GUI elements, so you can display some texts on the player’s screen (currently only labels and panels are supported).

A typical application is this scenario: You host a multiplayerserver and build a hotel. Now to make sure that nobody destroys your building, so you can write a script that protects everything within a specified area from destruction. Maybe you bind this to different groups, so that players assigned to a group “admins” (just an example) still can modify the hotel.
Next, players should be able to rent a room in your hotel; they are not allowed to destroy the room, but they’re allowed to place own objects (like furniture) in the room. So you define more areas in your script, according to your hotel’s rooms, and specify that the player who rented a room can place objects, but cannot destroy walls for example.

Holy SH***… that looks nice. I went on your website to check more screenshots and the video, it looks impressive and seems like it runs at a very decent FPS rate for the visuals! I particularly dig the cuttable trees. It’s clever to display a more complex model when chopping a tree and only billboards in the background, I really like the result! Keep it up! Very nice :smiley:

Thanks! :slight_smile: I’m pleased to hear that you like it! :wink:

Hello folks!

After a long time (a too long time, and I’m sorry for that) I want to finally update this outdated thread. There have been many changes since my last news post!

First of all, the game is no longer called “Concept”. The old name was misleading and nearly impossible to find on Google/Youtube. The new name of the game is now “Rising World”. Accordingly, you find our new website - which has been fully reworked - at https://www.rising-world.net/

Apart from that, we added many new features to the game in the meantime - too many to go into detail, but if you want to find out more about it, have a look at our Forum or visit our Facebook/Twitter page.
Alternatively, you also find us on IndieDB :slight_smile:

Another very important thing is the fact, that our game will be available on Steam from Wednesday, 3rd of december 2014! Together with the Steam release, there will also be a new update, introducing animals amongst other features. You can visit the Steam store page here: Rising World on Steam

Last but not least I want to show you a few new screenshots :slight_smile: Of course you find more screenshots on our homepage, and also some user-made buildings in our forum.

Here you also find a Trailer:

Small shack, built with the new construction system:
Extended Construction System

Just a random screenshot of the landscape:
Landscape

Finally I want to say how awesome the JMonkeyEngine is! It offers so many great features and is easily extendable! Excellent work @ JMonkey Devs and Contributors! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

:open_mouth: amazing!!!

@red51 said: First of all, the game is no longer called “Concept”. The old name was misleading and nearly impossible to find on Google/Youtube. The new name of the game is now “Rising World“. Accordingly, you find our new website – which has been fully reworked – at https://www.rising-world.net/

Awesome stuff, great work!

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile: