Royalty fee for creating a commercial game with JMonkey?

Apologies for asking an FAQ but I could not find a

yes you do!
or
no you don’t!

answer to the following question:

Do-I or will-i need to pay JMonkey a royalty fee?

I have created two pay-for Android games using the JMonkey SDK and they are up-for-sale on Amazon and Google Play.

This youtube video states that I do have to pay a royalty fee:

He states this at about: 1:30 (one minute, 30 seconds)

I believe he is wrong.

Best regards
tuxjsmith

no you don’t!

Can’t read the video for some reason, but anyone claiming that you have to pay a fee to use jMonkeyengine is wrong.

Thank you very much for the speedy reply.

Best regards
tuxjsmith

Nope, no royalty fees. We’d love some links to your games though! And we always appreciate getting some credit :wink:

2 Likes

Embarressed :: Developers learn that we [the-developer] think our software is cool because we made the technology do something interesting. However this does not necessarily translate into software that others will enjoy or see the point of.

The software is now free. I have unpublished the pay-for versions.

I havn’t included reference to JMonkey since JMonkey’s license states:
Neither the name of ‘jMonkeyEngine’ nor the names … without specific prior written permission.

But I would be MORE than happy to add references to JMonkey web sites, etc if you would like.

With Android applications there is a challenge to be compatible with various screen sizes and I believe my guiNode text is cropped on smaller density screens. I only have a Nexus 7 (2012) to test with but I have seen both applications run nicely on a Samsung Galaxy Tab II.

Here are the free links on Google Play:

Bubbles in a cage:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.logfarm.oopsfree

Cube Cracker:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.logfarm.cubecracker

1 Like

This remark in the license only means that you are not allowed to say that the jMonkeyEngine team endorses your game. So you can’t say “The jMonkeyEngine team says this game rocks!” but you are more than welcome to say “This game was built using the jMonkeyEngine”.

1 Like

Well done for making a game and publishing it. It takes a lot of courage to put your creation out there into the wild, but you did it. Don’t be so hard on yourself, we all have to start somewhere.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I will add do that; state the games were made using JMonkeyEngine and give a URL.

Best regards

2 Likes

Thank you jayfella.

Best regards