Scenegraphy/heightmap editor?

What "world" editors have people been using for jME? I'm not quite sure about MonkeyWorld3D, at least it crashes on my system.

I'm primarily interested in being able to create a heightmap, color it, texture it, and add some objects into it, and then load it with jME. What do you recommend?

Fyrestone uses FreeWorld 2.4.0 to create maps and a dynamic tile-loading system for our world.

That's a great editor, exactly what I want and need.

Two questions:

1. Any editors like this that are free?

2. How are you able to load up this scene that this editor creates using jME?

i use blender for my project this time. any world-model and terrain is created with this great open software. ^^

appel said:

That's a great editor, exactly what I want and need.

Two questions:

1. Any editors like this that are free?

2. How are you able to load up this scene that this editor creates using jME?

1. Yes, many are free. I chose FW3D because it's really not THAT expensive, and I was really comfortable with it's User Interface (which is important if you want to have a good game).

2. I export them as heightmaps and turn them into TerrainPages. My tile-loader decides which heightmaps are loaded and where they are. Currently, Fyrestone uses 128x128, 16-bit (non power of 2) heightmaps, but stretches them (and squishes them) to be 5 times wider, 5 times longer, and .0007 times shorter.

L3DT is also a great heightmap (texture, lightmap, alphamap, etc.) generator.

I've tried Blender but it's too complex.

L3DT is not as good as Freeworld. Besides, I don't want a generator, I want an editor.

2. I export them as heightmaps and turn them into TerrainPages. My tile-loader decides which heightmaps are loaded and where they are. Currently, Fyrestone uses 128x128, 16-bit (non power of 2) heightmaps, but stretches them (and squishes them) to be 5 times wider, 5 times longer, and .0007 times shorter.

But when you export it aren't you just exporting one layer, the height values? What about all the other layers, such as alpha layers, blend layers, detail layers etc. And what about the textures? Skybox/dome? What about the Lighting settings? Fog settings? Are you able to load all this up in jME? Do you have some sort of loader or export plugin? I'm not only interested in exporting the heightmap bitmap image, but all the rest. What have you done?
appel said:

But when you export it aren't you just exporting one layer, the height values? What about all the other layers, such as alpha layers, blend layers, detail layers etc. And what about the textures? Skybox/dome? What about the Lighting settings? Fog settings? Are you able to load all this up in jME? Do you have some sort of loader or export plugin? I'm not only interested in exporting the heightmap bitmap image, but all the rest. What have you done?

When I create maps in FW3D, I load the same skybox I use in the actual game, and I use the FW3D fog settings to see what it will look like. However, I use jME's FogState class to generate fog and the Skybox class for skyboxes. I use renderpasses, which allows me to place a base texture and then apply alpha textures on top via alpha maps (exported from FW3D). Currently, FW3D exports it's alphamaps as grayscale, which are incompatible with the CVS version of jME (1.0), but I believe 2.0 is compatible with them automatically, and HouseMDave has some method that converts the FW3D alphas into alphas that can be used by 1.0.

So I export the heightmap, all of the textures, and all of their alphas (except for the base, it doesn't need an alpha) and use those.

Because Fyrestone is going to be an MMORPG, we're going to keep all of the data regarding trees and other scenery in the server, and have the server communicate to the client where things are. This will allow our Game Masters to change scenery in-game, and also allow us to make sure everything looks clean in-game before releasing it.

There is a way to do the Ogre3D export and bring that directly into jME, but I didn't research it because I didn't want to go by that method.

For water (which you can also simulate in FW3D) I simply use the WaterRenderPass included in jME.

For examples of all of this, look at TestIsland.

http://www.radakan.org/download/WorldTool3.zip

Momoko_Fan said:

http://www.radakan.org/download/WorldTool3.zip

Nice work - realy come along.

Will you release the source of this ??

Will you release the source of this ??

Radakan at sourceforge

Looks real cool Momoko – but cant find the sourcecode anywhere on sourceforge  :?

Tried searching "radakan" in the search box at sourceforge.net?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/radakan/

Go to Code -> SVN and there are instructions for checking out the code.

Hi Momoko,

I try WorldTool 4.0, I was really betting on him to be my scene tool, however when I try to export the XMLs doesn't look that nice. I manage to "isolate" radakan code to load the tiles, but world.xml doesn't look alright :

<world tilesize="64"
groupsize="3"
tileres="16"
useslightmaps="true" />

and in the same folder tiles xml plus some textures, afterwords the xml doesn't load anything.
Do you have an idea if he export works correctly?

Kind Regards,
    ches

I can't say that using WorldTool4 build would actually fit in your project… You really should try to make further edits so that it exports in compatible formats, etc, and has the necessary features.

The new version is now located on googlecode:

http://code.google.com/p/radakan/

The path is trunk/World_Tool.