Seeking opinions regarding NetBeans 13

After trying NetBeans 13 for a few days, I decided I like 12.6 better, so I switched back.

I’m keeping Intellij IDEA installed mainly so I can occasionally use its spellchecker and static sourcecode analysis.

I plan to try GitKraken. Thanks for reminding me about it.

1 Like

almost missed this mid-topic pool hehe, so no worry.

I thought about using Intellij, but do this support Gradle 7+ multi-project well? are there people who use it with Intellij who could tell?

1 Like

Absolutely. It supports multi module with many module layers + Gradle 7 very well. I have had issues with other IDEs when trying to do multiple layers of modules in Gradle, but IDEA handles it very well.

1 Like

It’s as simple as including another gradle project folder in the settings.gradle, so yea it works fine, but on android arctic fox, gradle below 7 and java8 is not supported anymore.

2 Likes

Thanks for info.

im using Gradle 7.4.* and Java OpenJDK 11, and anyway no android, so i assume i would be fine.

What about Groovy support? do it see Java classes in classpath properly there? (NB had some issues with multiproject and groovy auto-fill)

1 Like

I use only kotlin besides so, i don’t know, but i coded groovy in gradle files before and it was fine, i hope one day, they would support a text editor and a build script for jni :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Yeah, groovy is well supported in Intellij. Also, this was one of the reasons I moved from Netbeans to Intellij as I had trouble making groovy autocomplete works on Netbeans.

1 Like

another Intellij question

is there one-time payment option for Intellij or only subscription? also do it accept bank transfer / paypal or it require providing credit card details?

Substance had one-payment option(for year support steam version), so i ask, maybe it is possible here too.

As far as I know they only have yearly or monthly. BUT: With yearly you have a lifetime license for the version of IDEA that was released at the beginning of your billing cycle after you have paid for the year. Thus, if you want updates, keep paying.

It also gets cheaper each year for the first three years. See their website for more details.

I personally have a yearly subscription to the all products license, it is fantastic.

Edit: I would also like to point out the free version is great for most anything the average developer does. I need the paid for JavaEE support.

3 Likes

Despite being a huge fan of intellij and wanting them to have as much money as possible i agree with tlf30; intelliJ community has all the featires you need. The only thing the ultimate version has that a JMonkey developer might use is the profilers (both memory and performance). The rest of the paid for versions features are mostly focused on framework development (e.g. spring boot).

Note that unlike many community versions of paid for products; the community version can be used for any commercial development

2 Likes

I’ve just started my 7-day trial of GitKraken. So far, it seems very slick and intuitive.

4 Likes

I am on NB14 no issues so far… Using Groovy 4.0.3 JDK 18 Gradle and Maven work fine too.

1 Like

I’ll try 14 soon.

Despite the long list of changes in the release notes, I haven’t yet noticed any practical differences between NetBeans 12.6 and NetBeans 14.

The Apache wiki page says the project is now on a quarterly release cycle. In other words, the version numbers don’t tell us anything about changes or compatibility.

2 Likes

Does anyone here know how to stop NetBeans from adding “-x check” to the Gradle command line when executing an application using Shift+F6?

I find NetBeans 15 to be usable, but v16 is not. Since NetBeans 17 is expected later this month, I suggest MonkeyEngine SDK skip v16 entirely.

Meanwhile, I’m still using GitKraken routinely, and have upgraded it to v9.0.1 without any problems.

Too late :smiley: The latest SDK release is on NB 16. Is there anything in particular on NB 16? It did receive a post release update as I gathered that it had some problems with Gradle projects at least.

And I would say that the SDK policy is now always to adopt the latest NB version upon a release. There are no LTS versions of NB anymore. The SDK should not restrict user on technologies (java or tooling versions).

1 Like

Is there anything in particular on NB 16?

During the brief time I used it, I encountered several situations where the application stopped responding. I didn’t keep notes, but at least once there was an error message about a “concurrent access violation” or something similar, after which a project could no longer be compiled or run using NetBeans.

1 Like

It is sad, back in the day I loved netbeans 7. After apache took over everything went down hill so fast. Anymore I don’t use netbeans and don’t use the sdk because it is on netbeans. There are far to many issues with modern netbeans that make it undesirable to work in.

I really hope they can get the performance back, but it seems they are still struggling with stability.

Sorry, just a personal rant, not trying to hate on the sdk, I’m just so disappointed in netbeans these days. As always I really appreciate everyone’s effort on keeping the sdk alive even if I am not using it anymore.

I’ve been using it with the SDK for about a month now, and haven’t noticed anything like that. If anything, it feels more stable than the last the SDK used.
I used to have occasional issues with gradle projects, where they could stop compiling, but not in this version.