(September 2020) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

Screenshot of the character jumping in a labyrinth in the ruins area.

12 Likes

Technically I did this work back in August, but since I neglected to post it here then I figured better late than never. This is a demo of the MyWorld client’s windowing system. (Note: the terrain in the background is procedurally generated on the fly, and the sky is made with @sgold’s SkyControl project.

8 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks - looks like some recent site changes wiped out some images, and that one was still floating around in my browser cache. Should be good now.

I’ve been working on reflective water for One Million Worlds

Technically the reflective water works at any height, but it’s a tad expensive* so except at the highest graphics level the water is only reflective at the main ocean height.

*the processor cost is mostly proportional to the number of heights the water is rendered at, rather than how much water there is, interestingly.

10 Likes

I’ve been making some good progress on the ‘far horizon’ prototyping stuff I’ve been doing. It’s all hooked into terrain generation and user-modifications and so on and so far no show stoppers.

For testing, I created a stupid-huge city of hastily made buildings. It’s a full square kilometer of buildings placed wherever there was enough space.

Various views taken a few minutes ago:

There is actually a bug where 150 meters or so of buildings was cut off at the far distance and doesn’t show up in the low LOD stuff. Fixing that bug is next on my list… then I have an occlusion tweak to make (sometimes the far LOD buildings are still rendered on top of the actual ‘block world’ buildings).

Once I get those fixed, I may make a video before tackling lighting.

Edit: color-matches the block world blocks and the terrain colors so that I could sync up the lighting equations and make sure they are the same before implementing light propagation. The side effect is that I get to stop answering questions about the harsh transition. :wink:

15 Likes

I’m preparing my product to be presented to a Brazilian partner so working on adding some Brazilian related graphics :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So is this for Mythruna, or something separate?

You’ll be competing with Minecraft soon enough!

Yes, it’s prototyping stuff for the new Mythruna engine.

Edit: also, these are still the parts that are open source (just not released yet): http://www.simsilica.com/the-moss-initiative/

3 Likes

I made a video. 1080 HD… best watched that way, I think.

17 Likes

Cool. Probably off topic, but I thought the airships were a neat touch.

1 Like

That video gave me a feeling of a magic deep world. Very cool !

1 Like

I’ve created 3 animations for my character. Turns out animating is not that hard.

Walk

Punch

Stand

6 Likes

I’ve been playing around with my new ZX Spectrum Next and made a game inspired by Atari’s Canyon Bomber. Now I decided to make a jME3 version of it because… why not?

The game is on itch.io and can be downloaded for free for the next 2 days. Take that as a gift for the jMonkeyEngine community (thank you!), so you better be quick!

Edit: the ZX Spectrum Next version is free for good and is open source. You need a real Next to run it or an emulator.

6 Likes

Spent the week working towards getting lighting working. I have it working for the regular world… with one glitch remaining:

…need to fix that bug after some sleep. After that we’ll try it on the far buildings and see what we see.

Example of glitch:

Light is propagating correctly but the part that turns blocks into geometry isn’t lighting chunk bordering surfaces correctly yet.

12 Likes

Fixed that issue in a slightly inefficient but highly effective way… then moved on to far building lighting. Makes a big difference.

Here is a shot of a castle from far enough away that it’s using the far-rendering technique… still lit, though:

That picture also is a good illustration of why lighting the far terrain is important also.

As does this one:

That view from the rise always reminds me of: “You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy…”

Edit: incidentally, that far castle thing is really a guard tower/barracks I created when I was procrastinating the other night. Turns out to be a great test of lighting. Has like seven levels, 30 beds, it’s own mess hall, etc… Yeah, I was REALLY procrastinating. lol

7 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Those ways are the best…

Reminds me of what I had to do to get around the fact that JME assumes that JME built-in resources are available through the current thread context.

The results look good. I (belatedly) learned a new term the other day: Yak Shaving. Was that barracks an example of the less-positive definition?

Nah. Some time back I make a block editor tool for my kids and then later made it part of MOSS. So I use it to prototype block models and such… and modified it to support lighting.

To prototype lighting, I needed a structure with lots of internal lights and rooms and stuff… and I didn’t want to start on actual lighting yet because “it’s hard” and has “long spans of coding without being able to see anything”. So one night I ‘wasted’ 2 hours or so building this guard tower.

Could I have made a simpler test? Yes. Would it have looked as cool?: no. Would it have scratched an itch to ‘make something’? no.

Motivation can be a fickle thing. Tend it carefully but feed it what it needs.

3 Likes