(September 2022) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

Hi everyone,
New demo: Melee System + Zombie AI.

The most complicated part of the job was designing a clear and simple system for synchronizing and aligning attack animations with enemy reactions, sounds and particle effects. To achieve the goal I used the power of the Tweens.

The second most complicated and most important part in video games was designing an AI using an FSM. I tried to limit attack chaos and enemy overlap by using a Combat Coordinator. Only the 2 closest enemies can attack at the same time and only if they have an unobstructed line of sight. If you are interested I can recommend a couple of video conferences on youtube on AI in video games.

Wishlist:

• Add a baseball bat, pipe and machete as melee weapons.
  • Camera-Shake

I hope you like it, but more important than that, I would like to know what you don’t like or what you would do differently.

Stay inspired.

18 Likes

Impressive! Is the source code available?

3 Likes

Thank you. It is part of a project with several demos. It will take me some time to extract it into a separate project. Unfortunately I have work commitments that will keep me busy for a while, but I would be happy to exchange ideas with you and explore new solutions. What aspects of the demo are you interested in?

1 Like

There’s no urgency. I’m curious about many aspects of this:

• how tweens are used
  • which particle system is used
  • how proximity and line-of-sight are evaluated
  • what (if anything) prevents zombies from walking through one another
  • how many states there are in the FSM
  • would the demo scale to 100s of zombies
2 Likes

It seems that the artist should modify the weapon

want to use Minie to control clothes :grinning: :grinning:

Simple use of recent learning shader knowledge :grinning: :grinning:
Thanks to everyone who helped me in the forum

6 Likes

Here’s a short video showing the finished version of the Plague Spore enemy that I shared in last month’s thread.

I gave it some combat abilities so it can fight both ranged and melee players. By itself, the Plague Spore is not too challenging to fight, and it will mostly be found in areas where other enemies spawn to assist them. So next, I will be working on some combat AI for a rat enemy so I can have hordes of rats behave in a way that pairs well with the Plague Spore to create a more challenging battle, and I’m hoping to post another video showing that soon.

But for now here is a lone Plague Spore in action. Still some polishing to be done, but its basic combat mechanics are all done:

Any criticism is greatly appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

this is fantastic :smiley:

the only criticism from me is “why you still didnt match walk animation to walk speed and fix it a little”
It would make huge visual difference. belive me. I remember someone earlier already mention this.

4 Likes