Simple quaternion question

Why are the x,y,z,w members of the quaternion class protected?

-Ike

Because if you think you need to set them directly then you are confused about what a quaternion is.

I understand what they areā€¦ Iā€™ve run into a case where I need to do this. And it got me curious as to why you didnā€™t make them public. It doesnā€™t hurt.

Well, you can do it with the

set(float x, float y, float z, float w)

right?

99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time someone wants to do this, they think quaternions are an angle-axis. The other 0.00000000000000000000000001% of the time, the experts know they can just call set() since setting one value of a quaternion at a time makes no sense at all. 0.

And here I was thinking the opposite, donā€™t make internal class members public, please, it ONLY HURTS.

Hah you should see the official oracle JavaFX library though. EVERYTHING PRIVATE.

I need it for my animation format. All my frame data is packed and I pull out the data with masks.

For rotations:

jointPose.rotation.x = channelOffset[3];
     if ((mask & 0x08) != 0) {
          jointPose.rotation.x += frameData[frameD++] * channelScale[3];
     }

At the moment Iā€™m just putting them all into floats then creating the quaternion.

And no Iā€™m pretty sure it will not hurt. I think of them as essentially being structs. They just hold data and do some maths.

Random thought:
Wouldnā€™t it be better to have vecs,quats and matrices as float arrays and their respective classes to be static

You can think of them being unicorns if you like, doesnā€™t make it a good future proof design though :wink:

1 Like

There is no future for such a class. It is simply a utility. A storage bin.

I also think, that using stupid get/set to encapsulate a private field is a ā€œwrongā€ habit of java. A Legacy of OO and ā€˜how do I manage evolution of a field that move from ā€œanniversary dateā€ to ā€œbirth dateā€ā€™. In the fact, 99.99999% of the time, when you change the private, you also change the public. (get/set are just boilerplate)

Now, Quaternion are as is in jME and 99.9999% of java dev like to wrap/encapsulate field with get/set. So itā€™s easier to have 0.0001% that ask ā€œwhy not a struct/array/data type + functions ?ā€ vs 99.9999% that ask 'why not a POJO ?" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Then if itā€™s just a storage bin for 4 floats then use Vector4f.

Quaternion values are all interdependent so it never makes any sense to set one without the other and is almost always a mistake. And by ā€œalmost alwaysā€, Iā€™ve never once seen it not be a mistake if your intent is to actually have valid quaternions.

No, because there is a pretty measurable performance benefit for accessing fields directly, especially through final methods that might get inlined.

This is NEVER a valid operation for a quaternion. So itā€™s good that we donā€™t let you make invalid ones here.

Okay, I give up.

(it is a valid operation in this case. Since Iā€™m unpacking dataā€¦)

Also not my pointā€¦

Still there :wink:

What remembers meā€¦

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_in_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

A whole thread to get here. If you include your use-case up front next time then it will save a lot of trouble.

For unpacking data, keep four floats. Call set() when done. It will be faster and doesnā€™t expose users to problems.

ā€¦and there WILL be problems because there are already a large number of posts from people who have messed up their Quaternions and they canā€™t even set the values directly.

While it sounds like you would really enjoy procedural languages (it was really nice in its own way), sometimes itā€™s ok to let object oriented programming do what itā€™s really good at: encapsulation.

2 Likes