SoC Ideas are up - See anything you like?

Sounds very good @mayank! A lot of information here - you could have probably saved some of it for your application :stuck_out_tongue: You’re definitely on the right track though. Besides getting used to the engine as a whole by following the beginners tutorials, I would suggest trying to make a simple cinematic with the system as-is. Get the feel for it, and take notes of what an editor could help out with.

p.s. @nehon is away for a couple of days but he should be back in time to review your application and give you some extra guidance.

Thanks @erlend_sh :smiley: . I am picking up jme quickly. I will make something using the cinematic system in the next few days and keep on taking relevant notes.
Could you send me a link to the jme source code repository?

Here ya go:
https://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyengine/

Hello,

I’m also student currently working on MonkeyBrains agent framework. @sevarac agreed to be my mentor for GSoC. Do you have suggestions what functionality I should propose for GSoC?

Hi @tihomir . It’s really up to you to pitch with whatever you’d like to do most (and I think you’re allowed to submit multiple applications), but if your main interest is AI & MonkeyBrains, there are 3 main approaches, all of which are listed on the ideas page:

1. Extend MonkeyBrains with something entirely new; what is up to you, but you can ask @sevarac for ideas.
  2. Port OpenSteer to be used as a selectable steering behaviour within MonkeyBrains
  3. Create Java bindings for Recast navigation and figure out how to make it communicate with MonkeyBrains.

For me personally, #3 is the highest priority, but the mentors might disagree with me. At the end of the day it really comes down to how strong your application is, because we’ll pick the strongest student rather than the most desirable project.

We are accepting applications now (though to be honest I don’t understand how, but I probably can’t see what students are seeing because I’m an Org Admin), so feel free to just send in your application and we’ll start providing feedback on it.

Hello all,
I’ve been around making JME games for a while, and am very excited that JME got accepted.

Ive been looking into doing the Cinematic Editor, which i assume would work much like the SceneComposer but for animations.

I was also interested in Bindings for Recast navigation, which I got the impression was a program to generate level hitboxes and AI pathing.

Quick Question, what would you class as advanced experience level? I’ve done multi threading in java and custom meshes and shaders in JME and stuff.
I was guessing that these are about intermediate/advanced level?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi @stevie. Sounds like you’re in between. Just put ‘Intermediate’. This hardly matters anyways. We look much closer at the experience part, for which it sounds like you have a fair bit of previous jME3 projects to point to, and that’s great.

Have you tried making anything for the SDK yet?

Hi @erlend_sh .
No i haven’t made anything for the SDK before. I’ve been familiarizing myself with the current Cinematics,
Is there there anything else that you would recommend looking into before planning application?

@stevie I suggest you go ahead and submit your application and we can provide more feedback and suggestions for further reading based on that :slight_smile:

Hello
I´m yet another student inested in working on jME. I´ll open a new thread to explain it but I just thought I´d introduce myself. So, hello fellow code monkeys. =D

Hi guys!

I’m Nathan, a student at Idaho State University and I have about four years of coding behind me. I’d really love to get started with JME and help out community members using the engine, but to be honest, I’m a little intimidated because I’ve never worked on a project this big before. I’d like to submit a proposal for GSoC, but since I’m still a rooky with JME I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on a particular project I could work on after becoming more familiar with JME. I’ve been obsessing over wiki guides for beginners, but I’d like to get connected with the community too, so I figured i’d ask you guys. I’d be happy working on literally every aspect of the JME engine, but I’m afraid I’m going to bite off more than I can chew. What are some good project ideas for beginners? I’m interested in agent AI, but i’m a little skeptical I currently have enough experience to be of any use.

Thank you for your time!

Really the best way to get your feet wet is to try and make a game with the engine. Besides plain programming that’ll teach you a bunch about your ability to plan, scope, structure etc.

I’d say some of the less intimidating ideas on the list are “Integrate Google Play Game Services” (comes with a lot of pre-made instructions by Google), “JavaChromiumEmbedded” (all about finding the right place to plug it in) and “Mobile Demos” (easy to compartmentalise into smaller chunks). Or you can come up with a suggestion of your own.

I strongly suggest applying even if you’re a bit scared :wink: We can provide you with good feedback that should be useful to you whether you get accepted for GSoC or not.

Thanks for the help. Playing with the platform right now. I’ll dive in a bit more to the mobile demos and integrating Google play when I get some extra time. :slight_smile: