SoC Ideas are up - See anything you like?

Please have a look at our Ideas List for this year’s Summer of Code.

Since we will be running our own initiative this year alongside GSoC, 3 projects are guaranteed to be picked up, provided we get enough qualified candidates. AND, although we will generally follow the GSoC rules, you don’t have to be a student to work on a jMESoC project. The application period opens 10. March. In the meantime I suggest you read carefully through these projects, ask any questions you’d like, and suggest your own ideas for the list.

3 Likes

Hi

I m a student looking for GSoC’14 projects, I m interested in wave simulation, I m good with physics programming

I read that this ll only concentrate on the surface simulation, my question is will this be an external library or an add-on to the jMonkey engine??

Cool, you should get in touch with @ceiphren and start asking questions about his OceanMonkey library :slight_smile:

This would not become part of jME3 core, but it could definitely be turned into a plugin, easily installable from within the SDK.

Steer AI port looks quite nice. I’m interested to learn more about AI in general, get 2 birds stoned at once :). (I’m not a student anymore, however :()

EDIT: While I don’t know if these qualify:
I also wouldn’t mind seeing some more video tutorials on there. Perhaps even a start to finish tutorial for a whole game, going through the entire pipeline? Graphics, GUI, sound, animation etc.
Another idea, may be some basic game templates for popular genres, RTS, FPS etc…

It’s something I wished there was more of when I initially started, and of which I’ve already tried to fill the gaps for some of them.

2 Likes
@wezrule said: Steer AI port looks quite nice. I'm interested to learn more about AI in general, get 2 birds stoned at once :). (I'm not a student anymore, however :( )
Well, there's always jMESoC!

Tutorials generally fall outside of the GSoC scope as well. And, although this is something we would be free to do for jMESoC, I would like to maintain a near-identical theme across both events this time around.

If jMESoC gets funded easily, this is definitely a concept we can transfer to other areas of contribution that don’t get enough attention.

Thank you

Hi @SatishKumar, Well looks like that I’m your mentor. You’ll get a pm soon. : )

I would be interested in helping with the Github plugin repository (jmeSoC). I’ve written so many websites its not even funny anymore - one of note that has code you can browse is here - a proof of concept if anything else to visually display the state of a gameserver and allow remote administration all through a website. It was a lot of fun to make :). Anyway, I think this is also an area that can really push jmonkey further into the public eye - not least because the current plugin list is almost non-existent in terms of front-page news, but shedding some light on what people have contributed would both really show what jmonkey can do out-of-the-box, and attract more toe-dippers.

@jayfella fantastic. I’ve added you to an e-mail thread where we can start the briefing for this.

Hi, My name is Eejya and I am interested in the Cinematic Editor and Video playback idea. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the prerequisites for the same and how should I begin

1 Like
@crackej said: Hi, My name is Eejya and I am interested in the Cinematic Editor and Video playback idea. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the prerequisites for the same and how should I begin
Nice!

For cinematics:
Read this: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:advanced:cinematics
Ask questions here: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/cinematics-system-for-jme3/

For video playback:
Catch up on this thread: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/video-playback-in-jme3/
And ask @nehon and company what they think the best way to tackle video playback might be. This one is a difficult nut to crack though, and if we don’t have a clear idea of how it should be implemented before we start accepting applications, I suggest you place your bets on the cinematic editor.

Hi

I’m Ashish, a second year student from DA-IICT, Gandhinagar, Gujrat, India and looking for GSoC’14 projects. I’m actually a newbie to jMonkey but I’m really excited to do some project with jMonkey and really don’t know which project to choose. Please I need some suggessions.

I’ve just finished the first draft for our Application Template. That should give you a good idea on how you can best prepare.

More news about that shortly.

1 Like
@wezrule said: Steer AI port looks quite nice. I'm interested to learn more about AI in general, get 2 birds stoned at once :). (I'm not a student anymore, however :()

EDIT: While I don’t know if these qualify:
I also wouldn’t mind seeing some more video tutorials on there. Perhaps even a start to finish tutorial for a whole game, going through the entire pipeline? Graphics, GUI, sound, animation etc.
Another idea, may be some basic game templates for popular genres, RTS, FPS etc…

It’s something I wished there was more of when I initially started, and of which I’ve already tried to fill the gaps for some of them.

Imo definitely needed. @normen video tutorials were a godsend.

1 Like
@crackej said: Hi, My name is Eejya and I am interested in the Cinematic Editor and Video playback idea. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the prerequisites for the same and how should I begin

Hi guys,

I did write a JME Cinematic Editor for official Cinematic system, (… now i’m using my own cinematic system) but i’m willing to give you my old source code to speed up your development :slight_smile: … In fact it’s 95% done; you just need to clean it a little bit… or wait for me do clean it and release it my self (sorry, bad joke! I’m lazy and too busy for managing open source project).

It depend on : DockFrame, JaretTimebar, SwingX… all GPL.

This one is a stand alone Cinematic Editor which use Jaret timebar component to display complex timeline. To integrate into the SDK it also a straight f2orward process because i also integrate it as my current CineEditor call TeeHee. Its interface and function insprised by UDK Matinee, CryEngine CineEditor and AdodeAfterEffect… The Audio Editing parts is current in TeeHee didn’t integrated in this editor at that time, but if you like then I also can share some audio editing JComponent, and I think those are enough for us right now.

This is the layout of the stand alone cinematic app:

This is the layout of the AudioTool with Subtitle & Lipsync mode.

1 Like

@iwgeric, @zathras, @nehon - Hi, I am a student applying for GSoC this year. I was interested in the android demo project and the google play services integration project. Could you give me more information on what the project entails and how I need to proceed?

Thank You

I added the “Google Services” idea so I can elaborate a bit on that part.

It would require a super-basic game (could be strictly cubes - no need for fancy assets) where you do basic actions (tap a box, drag a box, double-tap a box etc.) that are hooked up with Google Services events like leaderboards, achievements, cloud saves and social sharing. The demo game may also require a basic user account system for hooking into Google Accounts. We do NOT require multiplayer features for this first take.

You could easily start playing around with these features right now.

This demo game could be part of the Android Demo App. The other devs can tell you more about this part, but this task is mainly about:

1. Making the demos work properly on Android
  2. Making the Demo app on the Google Play store work properly.

Hi can I have details regarding Shader Nodes system

@SatishKumar said: Hi can I have details regarding Shader Nodes system
@nehon has laid out an extensive list of tasks already. You just gotta figure out if you'd be capable of doing what he's asking for. Ask questions in the shader nodes thread and read up on the shader nodes docs.

@nehon @erlend_sh
Hi, I Mayank Sharma from New Delhi,India. I am a GSOC 2014 aspirant.
I am interested to build the Cinematics/Cutscene Editor for jme3 . I am an Oracle Certified Associate Java Programmer and was a part of Oracle Workforce Development Program. I also have completed the edx course CS-181.4x : Foundations in Computer Graphics and have an idea of openGl API and related terms/Math. I have used 3dsMax for a long time now.

The reason I am interested in the cinematic editor in particular is that I have worked in software’s like Adobe Flash (earlier Macromedia Flash),Adobe Photoshop, Autodesk Combustion(earlier Discreet Combustion),Autodesk 3dsMax,Autodesk Maya (earlier Alias Maya… I have followed these software’s for a long time :D) and Adobe After Effects. All these wonderful software’s have great implementation of the tools like timeline, Dope Sheets(Exposure Sheets) ,Curve Editors, Motion Paths, building complex animated scenes involving large number of varying animation parameters etc. There are some really cool timeline/animation control features present in these software’s that may be utilized in this project.
I have been programming in java for about a year . I have used C, C++ for about 4 years i.e. since 11th grade and am quite proficient at Ruby too. Recently, I have become active on github : maany (Mayank Sharma) · GitHub . Currently I am working on ThunderBolt , a java based library management software for my college. This is my first major live project.

I have always been passionate about games :smiley: :smiley: .As far as game-dev experience is concerned, I had worked on Unity3D last year (mainly C#). I started developing 2 games as personal projects : ConnectX (2D, used classes of Orthello 2D API for unity)and island(fps, complete till level design and walkthrough), but had to abandon both of them midway due to other commitments :(.
The idea to contribute towards the game engine rather than a game itself is giving me an adrenalin rush. I am really excited and It would be a great pleasure to receive guidance from mentors to develop a user friendly, interactive and powerful UI that utilizes the cinematic API.
I started going through the SDK docs,java docs and the tutorials for jme3. @erlend_sh had suggested to read through (https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:advanced:cinematics) and (http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/cinematics-system-for-jme3/page/4/ ) . As I am new to the forum, could you please tell if im in the right direction?
Links to some of my works/certificates :
OCAJP : Dropbox - Error
Oracle Workforce Development Program : Dropbox - Oracle Workforce Development Program.jpg - Simplify your life
Computer Graphics(BerkeleyX): Dropbox - Foundations in Computer Graphics-BerkeleyX.pdf - Simplify your life
3dsMax: Dropbox - MaxMaker - 3dsMax.jpg - Simplify your life
SAAS (BerkeleyX;Ruby on Rails): Dropbox - Software as a Service - BerkeleyX.pdf - Simplify your life

Unity Games: Dropbox - unity games - Simplify your life
ThunderBolt(Java): GitHub - maany/ThunderBolt: an easy to use and powerful library management tool
ThunderBolt Online Module(jsp,servlets) : thunderbolt-locofficial.rhcloud.com (for guest login : message me)
3d modelling/animation/effects portfolio : Dropbox - files (maitlive work upload) - Simplify your life

2 Likes