[SOLVED] Creating Ogre XML model with skeleton

This may not be the right place to ask this, but I find people here are knowledgeable and helpful…

The ‘Ninja’ used in the Hello Asset example, which is an Ogre XML model, has a skeleton.xml file.

When I’ve exported rigged models from Blender using Blender2Ogre, and from MakeHuman using MakeHuman’s built in Ogre exporter, I’ve got the mesh.xml file, but not the skeleton.xml file.

Does anyone remember how the Ninja model was created? If not, can anyone tell me how to export a model with a skeleton?

Many thanks!

1 Like

Based on Forum discussions, I believe the Ninja model dates back to at least 2009: Ogre3D Mesh.XML Importer - #3 by firestorm696

Back then, models were apparently created using Blender and exported using Radakan’s exporter: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

2009 was long before my time. Do any old-timers have insights to add? @Momoko_Fan?

1 Like

Curious: is there a reason you want to use the old format from another engine instead of the more modern and better supported GLTF?

1 Like

Yes, I set it out in a blog post here. In summary, glTF might as well be binary data – most of it is in fact ASCII encoded binary. That makes it impossible to hand edit, and pretty hard to parse.

I need something I can parse easily. Of the XML formats I’ve evaluated, Ogre is the least well supported, but it has precisely the structures I’m looking for, and given that there is an existing jME3 importer, it looks like the one that would be easiest for me to use.

To answer my own question, the MakeHuman Ogre exporter does successfully export skeletons – provided you’ve remembered to add a skeleton to your model!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like