A bit unnecessarily snarky there. Given that I had solved the problem myself, I didn’t think it was required that I give a detailed description. Well, my base assumption with the installation of any application, java-based or not, is that it either includes everything that it needs or can unequivocally find whatever it needs. When an application’s installer finishes with no errors, and yet launching the application fails, that is undeniably a failure on the part of those who created the installer to have set it up correctly. That is just a fact. If the app needs Java, the installer should check that Java is in the expected location, or search to find it, or at the VERY least, alert the user at install time that Java wasn’t properly found. In my case, after much consternation, I discovered that by going into the package and launching the script via the command line, I could see the error: “Cannot find java. Please use the --jdkhome switch.” Now, sdk guru, you tell me how that can happen if, as you say, JME includes its own JDK. I looked at the script and found that it DOES use the --jdkhome switch, and yet the $jdkhome variable was not set correctly. My second assumption, this one which I admit could be wrong, was that since the JME docs indicate that it is built on NetBeans, that the installer would be set up to find said NetBeans and its JDK. I had used the self-contained NetBeans, and so finding its JDK and then going into the JME script and setting jdkhome to that is what worked.