[Solved]Exported Model from sketchup won’t open

I am working on a game that i will have vehicles in. I wanted to use the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport as my first car (i love the hell out of that car). So i googled models of the car in Sketchup which is my primary 3d rendering software (along with blender). I found one i liked, loaded it up, exploded all of the groups, and used my Ogre XML converter to convert it into a mesh. I took all the files and put them in a subfolder under my assets. Then i converted the mesh to .j3o. When i attempt to open the model though, it says:

Error opening bugatti.j3o

no stack trace, no error code, nothing.

this has happened with almost every model i have found, from sketchup to 3ds max.

im wondering if its the complexity that crashes it, but i don’t think that should be a problem.

anyway, anyone who has a fix PLEASE TELL ME. i need to get this project rolling.

EDIT: a developer showed me the obvious little button in the corner (i feel stupid now) I couldn’t make out what was wrong but here is the read out:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.readObject(BinaryImporter.java:313)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:243)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:126)

at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:110)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadAsset(DesktopAssetManager.java:282)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadModel(DesktopAssetManager.java:410)

[catch] at com.jme3.gde.core.assets.SpatialAssetDataObject.loadAsset(SpatialAssetDataObject.java:90)

at com.jme3.gde.scenecomposer.OpenSceneComposer$1.run(OpenSceneComposer.java:38)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

There should be a red icon on the bottom right of the screen, can you try clicking it?

1 Like
@Momoko_Fan said:
There should be a red icon on the bottom right of the screen, can you try clicking it?

sorry about that i didn't see the icon here is the read out

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.readObject(BinaryImporter.java:313)
at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:243)
at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:126)
at com.jme3.export.binary.BinaryImporter.load(BinaryImporter.java:110)
at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadAsset(DesktopAssetManager.java:282)
at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadModel(DesktopAssetManager.java:410)
[catch] at com.jme3.gde.core.assets.SpatialAssetDataObject.loadAsset(SpatialAssetDataObject.java:90)
at com.jme3.gde.scenecomposer.OpenSceneComposer$1.run(OpenSceneComposer.java:38)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

Which version of jME3 are you using? Can you provide the J3O file?

@Momoko_Fan said:
Which version of jME3 are you using? Can you provide the J3O file?

i am using the latest stable version and here is a link to the j3o (has all the data from the model)
http://www.mediafire.com/?khf04q0v6kvnola

You can’t use the “<” and “>” characters in material names. This is the actual exception that happened:

[java]org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 272104; columnNumber: 28; The value of attribute “material” associated with an element type “null” must not contain the ‘<’ character.

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:198)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:177)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:441)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:368)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFatalError(XMLScanner.java:1375)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.scanAttributeValue(XMLScanner.java:893)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanAttribute(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:436)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:253)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:2715)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:607)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:116)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:488)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:835)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:764)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:123)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1210)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:568)

at com.jme3.scene.plugins.ogre.MeshLoader.load(MeshLoader.java:888)[/java]

@Momoko_Fan said:
You can't use the "<" and ">" characters in material names. This is the actual exception that happened:
[java]org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 272104; columnNumber: 28; The value of attribute "material" associated with an element type "null" must not contain the '<' character.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:198)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:177)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:441)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:368)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFatalError(XMLScanner.java:1375)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.scanAttributeValue(XMLScanner.java:893)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanAttribute(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:436)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:253)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:2715)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:607)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.java:116)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:488)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:835)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:764)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:123)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1210)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:568)
at com.jme3.scene.plugins.ogre.MeshLoader.load(MeshLoader.java:888)[/java]

i went in and changed the materials the person used (two of them were surrounded in <>) and now it does not have an error on loading it...but it doesn't show anything in the scene window :/

EDIT: i was able to add the ogre xml to a scene via the "add in scenecomposer" button and it was outrageously huge, which is fine, its just a size problem BUT, the j3o still seems to produce nothing when i add it in

EDIT 2: nevermind......i found it :)......you would think that sense its as big as life i would easily find it, but no, i had to search for it

PS THANK YOU SO MUCH I LOVE THE ENGINE AND AM HOPING TO MAKE A SUCCESSFUL MMORPG WITH IT THANKS TO YOU I CAN CONTINUE THE PROJECT :D:D:D:D