Some of my 3D models are detailed are starts to trigger lag, especially when you see all of them from distance.
In a previous technology i used, i used to make Levels of Details like this:
- Close to the model, the most detailed model is shown, like a detailed house.
- At like 50 meters, it’s less detailed, for instance you can’t see a house’s interior but exterior is still detailed.
- At 300 meters, the house’s model become only a few faces.
I to all the models, and i tell the engine which one to display at which distance.
I looked at JME’s LOD, but i’ve seen only an auto generated one which alter meshes, i didn’t found a model-based LOD.
So here are my questions:
- Is there a way to manually do LOD by selecting the different models and distance ?
- If not, at least is there a “switch” node mecanism ? (a node which have several childrens and you programmatically choose which one is displayed).
And another question a bit off JME:
- My modeling software’s exporter is a bit dumb : it generate lots of small meshs instead of grouping the faces by texture, it’s not practical for auto generated LOD.
Which external tools can be used to just “regroup” the different meshs which share the same texture ?
Thanks in advance,