[Solved] Simple how-to, without the AppState

I’ve looked through your project website, but couldn’t find a guide on how to use Minie
without the BulletAppState part. Is there one such guide somewhere or would it be possible to get a few simple steps here?

Is it as simple as adding PhysicsBody to a PhysicsSpace and then calling PhysicsSpace.update(float f) after configuring it ?

2 Likes

Why would you want to? For a server?

1 Like

For server-side use, yes

1 Like

SiO2 bullet extension already does this, you can take a look at it (see the BulletSystem)

And there is a demo as well

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

btw, if you search the forum for “bullet-char” or “SiO2 Bullet” or “Zay-ES bullet physics” you will find lots of useful information.

1 Like

Yea, hadn’t thought of that, I guess because this was Minie, but same underlying physics.

1 Like

Yes, I am already using Minie with that with no problem.

1 Like

What kind of performance are you seeing ? static objects vs. dynamic for example ?

Edit: I know that’s not Minie specific, but just curious

1 Like

Do you mean after switching from jme-bullet to Minie?
I have no benchmarked them but I do not expect to see a noticeable difference though, they are both using native bullet c++ library.

If you are curious you can take a look at this benchmark Stephen did.

3 Likes

It’s fairly simple. You can instantiate a PhysicsSpace directly and then periodically invoke physicsSpace.update().

Eventually there will be a tutorial for this.

NOTE: SiO2 still uses jme3-bullet, not Minie. But the APIs are so similar that the same techniques should work with Minie.

2 Likes

I’ve drafted a tutorial page:

Physics simulation without appstates :: The Minie project

If you find it unclear or misleading, please inform me.

2 Likes

Very nice. Perhaps you could add a few comments under the different initialization options along the lines of “This is recommended when <…>” or “A use case for this would be <…>”. Then I think it would be perfect.

2 Likes