[solved + solution] jMonkey destroyed my Alt Gr key :(

So I have this problem for some time now when somehow the Alt Gr key doesn’t work anymore in jMonkey.
That means that I couldn’t type { properly but had to press Ctrl and Alt at the same time plus the number 7 … really awkward.
Today I noticed that even after closing jME, the key still doesn’t work :S .
Everytime I press the key it reacts like I pressed the Alt key alone.

I use a german keyboard if that helps.

Please help me :frowning: .

I am brand new to jME3, so by all means take my advice with a grain of salt (!), but I find it really hard to believe that a Java app would/could permanently disabled a keyboard key after the app terminates.

Are you:

(1) 100% sure that the app has terminated and is not still somehow running as a server/daemon?; and
(2) 100% sure that it’s not just a coincidental hardware failure? Can you swap out the keyboard for a new one, run your app and reproduce the problem on another keyboard?

1 Like

(1) It was completely terminated
(2) Yes because I just restarted my computer and it works again now

The thing is that happened before and it doubt that it won’t come anymore in the future.
I just don’t want to restart my PC everytime and I think it happened to other people as well but they haven’t found a solution either so I made this thread.

Can you reproduce on another keyboard, or reinstall the device driver for your current keyboard?

Ultimately, in a perfect world, you’ll be able to reproduce by:

1. Starting with a brand “new” keyboard (either an entirely new keyboard, or a fresh driver for it); at the very least your Alt Gr key should be working when you start the test.

2. Run your jME3 app in debug mode.

3. Step through the code, checking the Alt Gr key each time you step.

4. As soon as Alt Gr stops working, you should have arrived at the location of the code that is “killing” the key.

5. Post your results! Perhaps it is a bug afterall, but again, I seriously doubt it.

HTH

2 Likes

I think you think that I use the Alt Gr key in my app but that’s not the case.
It is the main SDK in which the problem occurs.
I can assure you that it has nothing todo with my keyboard because it works again after a restart.
And I can’t really reproduce the bug … After the restart I did everything I did before the problem happened today but the problem didn’t came.
I think it comes random but I’m not sure.
I’m kinda new to jME so I don’t know if these problems happened before jME3 but I think this version is kinda buggy because I also get this strange exception loop when I close an app in fullscreen mode http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/never-ending-exceptions/

Ok, I’m starting to understand here. So:

• You don’t use the Alt Gr key in your app, but at some point during the app’s execution, you noticed it stops working.
  • Once this happens, it stops working regardless of whether or not the app is still running.
  • The only way to fix it is to restart your machine.

Are these three statements correct? If not, please correct me on any of them. If all 3 statements are correct, then:

1. What is the make & model of your computer?
  2. What is the make & model of your keyboard? Do you happen to know the name/version of the keyboard’s drivers?
  3. What OS (model and version) are you using? 32- or 64-bit?
  4. Do you know what native library of LWJGL your app is using? For instance, I’m on Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop, and am using liblwjgl64.so, etc.

Let’s start with that and then we’ll go from there…

1 Like
@AdjustingForInflation said: - You don't use the Alt Gr key in your app, but at some point during the app's execution, you noticed it stops working.
I don't actually know that ... I first notice it when I want to change the code and have to type this { symbol ... so I can't confirm or deny that statement.
  1. Acer & Aspire M3920
  2. Acer & SK-9621 … drivers: Microsoft version: 6.1.7601.17514
  3. Windows 7 64-bit
  4. Sorry … no idea how to ckeck this

Windows has destroyed my Alt Gr key many times, it has some weird hotkey combination to change the language/locale setting that switches to US keyboard, a hot-key that is almost something I use in netbeans so it is easy to accidentally hit it.
Google around for it, you should find both what it is and how to disable it.
One of the many reasons I don’t use windows :slight_smile:

1 Like
@jmaasing said: _Windows_ has destroyed my Alt Gr key many times, it has some weird hotkey combination to change the language/locale setting that switches to US keyboard, a hot-key that is almost something I use in netbeans so it is easy to accidentally hit it. Google around for it, you should find both what it is and how to disable it. One of the many reasons I don't use windows :-)

Oh my fucking god these stupid motherfuckers … For everyone: It is Alt + Shift … the start of the format shortcut in netbeans -.-’

Here’s how to change it:

For XP see: Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages > Text services and input languages > Details > Key Settings > Change Key Sequence
For Vista/Windows 7 see: Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Keyboards and Languages > Change keyboards > Advanced key settings > Change key sequence

2 Likes

Awesome to hear that you solved your issue… I also wanted to mention that the name of this thread reminded me of Dweezil Zappa’s “My Guitar Want’s To Kill Your Mother”.

Carry on.

1 Like
@t0neg0d said: Awesome to hear that you solved your issue... I also wanted to mention that the name of this thread reminded me of Dweezil Zappa's "My Guitar Want's To Kill Your Mother".

Carry on.

a) Me too.

b) Dweezil was remaking daddy’s original. :slight_smile: (I use ‘remake’ versus ‘covering’… they were different enough I think.)

1 Like
@pspeed said: a) Me too.

b) Dweezil was remaking daddy’s original. :slight_smile: (I use ‘remake’ versus ‘covering’… they were different enough I think.)

True that!

Both are awesome… one of my fav’s of all times is Pop’s Joe’s Garage… even disc two… which goes in directions I didn’t know existed.

1 Like
@t0neg0d said: True that!

Both are awesome… one of my fav’s of all times is Pop’s Joe’s Garage… even disc two… which goes in directions I didn’t know existed.

Haha you guys are awesome … bringing Zappa into a Java forum :smiley: .

And always remember: Watch out where the huskies go, and don’t you eat that yellow snow

1 Like