SpaceScape as jMonkey plugin?

I have noticed a couple of monkeys have mentioned SpaceScape, and after having a look at it (but having not really looked at the code yet) I was thinking of porting it to java with the goal of eventually making it a jMonkey plugin.

Any ideas/suggestions/comments?

2 Likes

Definitely sounds cool. There is a texture editor with some limited plugin capabilities in the SDK already… I guess thats all you need to know :slight_smile:
The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there’s emotes that hint otherwise or there’s an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

@kd12, great idea =) as long as proper credit is given to the original author I think this is a neat.

A java version of space scape would be really, cool,
(i only say random space sector seeds for infinite backgrounds)

@Empire Phoenix said: A java version of space scape would be really, cool, (i only say random space sector seeds for infinite backgrounds)
Why make them random? Can this not create a map based on actual star positions? Like in my infinite galaxy example you could just make a background that matches the surrounding spheres (of rather from particle emitters that look like galaxies later etc ;)) http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/infinite-zoom-galaxy-with-physics-example-code/ The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there's emotes that hint otherwise or there's an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.
@normen said: Why make them random? Can this not create a map based on actual star positions? Like in my infinite galaxy example you could just make a background that matches the surrounding spheres (of rather from particle emitters that look like galaxies later etc ;)) http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/infinite-zoom-galaxy-with-physics-example-code/

I was thinking just this. Even if you partitioned the space could you not make a texture based on what’s in adjoining partitioned space?

Although until someone makes a procedural infinite nebula algorithm I think that anyone’s space game may be a bit sparse in visual appeal which is something the spacescape thing does nicely (I won’t say easily since there is a lot of tweaking needed to get a nice nebula appearance in spacescape).

@thecyberbob said: I was thinking just this. Even if you partitioned the space could you not make a texture based on what's in adjoining partitioned space?

Although until someone makes a procedural infinite nebula algorithm I think that anyone’s space game may be a bit sparse in visual appeal which is something the spacescape thing does nicely (I won’t say easily since there is a lot of tweaking needed to get a nice nebula appearance in spacescape).

Yeah if you look at the code its pretty simple already. The other space always “surrounds” the current space so you’d have whole galaxies as the “main” stars in the next inner galaxy. If you wanted you could also pull out the positions of these again to make the single galaxies very “realistic” :wink:
The content of this post is meant to be read as a straight information or question without an implicit dismissive stance or interest in having the other party feel offended unless there’s emotes that hint otherwise or there’s an increased use of exclamation marks and all-capital words.

1 Like

I wanted a “skybox” (does that term still make sense outside of an atmosphere?) for Earth so I used Celestia. Lots of scripts but the final result was decent (though I should have done it in higher res, now I don’t want to go through it all again). I doubt spacescape could do real start positions without major modifications.

Since there does seem to be interest, where should the code be put? A separate project or in jMonkey’s google code page.

Also, looks like the guy who made it used a bunch of Ogre stuff (not just for displaying the final result, but for generating things too, it seems). Separating it out might be a headache.

The best way to start projects that are accessible and could later be transformed to “official” extensions or parts of the core engine is the contribution depot: https://code.google.com/p/jmonkeyplatform-contributions/ You can for now just create a normal java project in trunk/ and later even wrap it so that people can install and update the library from a central place.