Spelling mistake in the site features

I disagree on this.

int [] indexes = { 2,0,1, 1,3,2 };

This syntax means:

A tip just adds clutter whereas the bullet point includes it as part of the explanation.

As for the word Indexes, the author is describing an index buffer so what is it you think it should say?

2 Likes

Should it be “indices” ?

I am just giving a clue that I was getting confused for about 10 minutes because of this line , when I skipped it to the bullets below , I have found that this line should be a TIP(FACT) OR a TITLE which is a real overall description of the whole procedure that should not be inserted in between the discrete description.

I thought that might be what you were thinking. It can go either way. Depends on where you learn English.

No objection to changing it myself.

Edit: The disagreement is on moving the first bullet point to a tip.

1 Like

i suppose for a not-native-speaker index and indexes are more common(easy to understand) than indices. but i might be wrong.

1 Like

You are right , I rechecked merriam-webster , I though index has only one plural :joy::joy:, as I always see it indices in books , sorry about that .

I am not a native speaker , it was my first time seeing the plural of index as ‘indexes’ :joy::joy:, again , sorry about that .

no need to sorry, im just not sure whats funny with “indexes”, for me its same as “indices” just that i learned about “indices” word in later time, while “indexes” was more natural for me.

1 Like

and to put some more confusion into the mix:
the german word “index” also has 2 plurals: “indexe” and “indizes/indices”, but you cannot randomly pick one of them, instead if by “index” you refer to a list of forbidden stuff for example, then the plural is “indexe”, however if by “index” you mean what we as programmers usually mean (along the lines of “a single position”) then the plural is indices

1 Like

As has been discussed, in english both “indexes” and “indices” is valid. As a native english speaker, I grew up with “indices” and always hated it. I prefer simpler plurals and will use them whenever they are legal… so I always say: indexex, vertexes, etc…

While we’re on the subject, it’s also valid english to say ‘octopuses’, ‘pegasuses’, ‘syllabuses’, etc… No need to do the silly ‘syllabi’ BS. Both are valid. One is simpler. Doesn’t come up as often in 3D graphics, though. :slight_smile:

1 Like