Starting Out

I apologize if this is the wrong subforum.

I’m really interested in developing games in Java. I’ve made a couple simple games and am in the middle of creating a game using the Slick2D library. I would like to get into 3D programming soon. I had a few questions that I’d like to get cleared up before I start out.

How much Java and game creating experience do you recommend before starting out in jMonkeyEngine or 3D programming in general? I took AP Computer Science at school last year and that was my first introduction to Java. I’ve learned a lot since then, most of which was on my own. Do you think having only written a few games is enough experience to embark?

What math background is required? Right now I’m in precalc (should have skipped it and done regular calc) but I have a good grasp on math. The only thing I don’t know much about that I imagine would be required is trig.

Thanks for your time,

David

I think if you already have done a couple of 2d simple games you are able to create 3d games as well, but I recommend you to learn a little of blender before starting.

well I knew even less than you about creating games when I started using Jmonkeyengine. Didn’t know blender, didn’t know any 3D programming, never made a game before, and I had only a few months Java experience. 4 months later, i’ve almost finished my game and now I’m helping newbies like you xD. Theres a lot of good tutorials here which teach you pretty much everything you need to know. If you’ve got a good grasp of java, then you should do fine. Obviously expect to run into numerous problems along the way as your learning, but that is part of the fun. Theres a lot of people in your shoes, just search the forums, theres usually an answer you need. Good luck

Thanks guys. I think I’m going to finish up the game I’m working on them start some 3D fun then.