Static in Audio Playback [SOLVED]

Hello all,

I’m just beginning to play with JMonkey’s built in audio, and I’ve come across a problem. I’m trying to play music in the background, but I can hear static in a fairly regular pattern. I know it’s not the file because when I play it back in Audacity, it sounds just fine. It also has the same static as both a wav and a OGG file. My first thought was that it was reverb of some kind, so I turned off my AudioNode’s reverb, but no luck.

Any pointers on if I can fix this?

My code:

[java]

musicNode = new AudioNode(assetManager, “Sounds/Menu/Background.wav”, false);

musicNode.setLooping(true);

musicNode.setReverbEnabled(false);

rootNode.attachChild(musicNode);

[/java]

Thanks,

-Duffy

Play a game when you play the audio in Audacity, then it will probably happen as well. You have noise from your graphics card on your sound board. Use an external USB interface.

@normen said:
Play a game when you play the audio in Audacity, then it will probably happen as well. You have noise from your graphics card on your sound board. Use an external USB interface.

Huh, never would have thought of that. What do you mean by a USB interface?

Consumer:

http://en.store.creative.com/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-recon3d/1-20835.aspx

Professional:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrack.html

Ah, haha. Thanks so much for the quick reply. As it stands, I’m a poor college student, so I’ll just deal with the static. :wink:

That often happens if both the video card an the audio card are integrated on the motherboard.

Slightly less expensive way to get cleaner sound is to have dedicated cards for each component.

1 Like
@madjack said:
Slightly less expensive way to get cleaner sound is to have dedicated cards for each component.

You'll still get these issues, plus you got no chance to get away from the "dirty" ground potential of your computer, most (proper) USB audio interfaces divide audio and computer grounding.

I said cleaner, not perfect. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Do you run with vsync on? Sometimes that can at least even out the GPU noise.

Alternatively, get a great mobo.

Asus Sabertooth P67 It’s shielded and has military-grade capacitors, MOSFET, etc. (That’s what I have and never had to suffer from any kind of static).

1 Like

Thanks all, I’ll keep all this in mind when I finally get to building a PC this summer (got a nice paid internship!). Until then, I will suffer through with my crappy Dell laptop.

@pspeed said:
Do you run with vsync on? Sometimes that can at least even out the GPU noise.

I'll give this a try, thanks!

-Duffy
@madjack said:
Alternatively, get a great mobo.

Asus Sabertooth P67 It's shielded and has military-grade capacitors, MOSFET, etc. (That's what I have and never had to suffer from any kind of static).

I've got that one too, very happy with it so far :)