SVN vs Git?

If we kept our GoogleCode project as an SVN read-only project then everyone would be happy.

And where would you bring the discussions to? Keep on the forum? And the discussions that are going to show up in the Issues and Requests on the Github? I’ve seen some solutions that really integrate things, but I don’t think that’s the case for jME.

We never had issues with the actual commits of contributions. Its either patches or lots of code forming a new subsystem. There is already only two places for discussion for jME, this forum and the core teams chat.

And the discussions on the GC Issues?

Accidental because some people don’t know about the forum PM.

Because I actually think that discussions involving softwares are better defined as the discussion on a forum like this, that should discuss general things, like concepts and ideas, and the discussion regarding the code, like commits, patches and requests.

And experience shows its better when this happens here where people can see it and give their input.

@shirkit said:
Wow, I gotta say that I really prefer Github over GC. In any aspect I think GC get's owned by Github. Also Bitbucket is an alternative to consider (or not). @nehon I think that the process of submiting is just easier to be done in Github, as it's really well integrated.

I don't know just how would it be done with the forum and the discussions over here. It's somewhat similar to the problem of some of the issues in the forum and some other in the GC website.

Actually i use bitbucket for a personal project since you can host non open source projects. But that's the only reason i use it, because i found it very less user friendly as GC.
Anyway I guess that's a matter of taste at some point. There no point is arguing about this.
Both systems do the job really, it's just my French whiner spirit that's speaking :p
I'm not gonna stop to commit on JME if we switch to gitHub ofc, but for the record...i don't like it.

Then I see no reason to move towards Github :stuck_out_tongue:

What is your point @shirkit? I don’t know why this discussion is up again suddenly. I only talked about git, not github.

Me neither, I was just reading, got interested by the idea and started talking out loud :stuck_out_tongue:

@airbaggins said:
http://youtu.be/4XpnKHJAok8

he also hates java <33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa55RKWZxxI&feature=related

Yeah, that guy is really complex. Anyone knows how crazy that guy is!

Actually, Linus is right, Java IS a horrible language.

Not that C is better - it’s actually worse in many ways (and better in others, for some kinds of projects).

Since it’s been just a passing remark, I don’t think this should be taken too seriously anyway.

Plus, what counts is not just the language but also tools and libraries.

I can think of very few things where I’d class C as better than Java. Things like where you require deterministic millisecond accuracy results (things like device controllers on co-operative multi threading/tasking systems can offer that).

If you want power, if you want efficiency, and you want it to take 2x longer to write, then choose C++. If not, choose Java/C#

Troll fest!!!

Please, not this again. Everyone knows everything that needs to be known over here. And if someone doesn’t, then they won’t know (yeah, exactly that)

Well, to answer zarch’s implied question, C has these advantages over Java. They aren’t relevant to all projects, so I have added the kind of project where they apply (IMHO), in parentheses.

1 ) C requires far less boilerplate code than Java. (All projects.)

2 ) The C build process is far simpler and easier to manage. (All projects, particularly medium ones.)

3 ) C does not need a runtime system. (Small hardware.)

4 ) C runs on a far wider list of hardware. (Exotic hardware.)

5 ) On exotic hardware, there are typically less bugs in the compiler than on the Java side with its compiler/JVM. (Exotic hardware.)

6 ) You can do manual memory allocation in C. (Small projects.)

7 ) C has a far smaller minimum footprint than Java: no JVM, no OO dispatch tables, no data structures for reflection, etc. (Tiny hardware - think embedded processors with 64K ROM and 8K RAM.)

8 ) C is far easier to master. (Projects with a large fraction of entry-level programmers.)

Doesn’t mean that C is a good language! Just that even bad languages have their good points.

Not intended to be trollbait. Just a list of circumstances where C’s well-known disadvantages could be outweighed.

Don’t derail threds. The topic title clearly states “svn vs git”, which is a superfluous enough debate as it is.

We rarely close threads around here, but I don’t think there’s anything more to gain from this debate. We’ve got all the input we need, and we’ve already been considering Git/GitHub for quite some time now. Rest assured we’ll keep discussing this internally. But for now, Stable release is our focus.

Thread closed.