Terrain detail placement and LOD system

Well, i seen there are “Grass Libs”/“plotter libs”. But each of them is “unique” solution.

Myself i created own way to place “grass” based on texture in terrain, and split for geometry chunks/etc. (well it took days, but can do everrything ;))

I based it on GrassArea library solution as i remember.

(old video, now it looks much better)

But there are other libs like the one Jayfella created.

Each of libs have advantage and disadvantage, so depends what you need.

About Trees/Big Rocks/Bushes i think you should use ECS(for example JME Zay-ES lib) that would allow interactions.

If not, I will likely be creating my own system for placing these details with a brush type interface, or generating them based on criteria (such as terrain height, slope, heat map, terrain stamp, etc etc).

You can, same as i did myself. Just need time and some knowledge. I never thought about “slope” making something, i only use it to “little slope grass” but anyway grass should always look “up” and be affected by just wind.

As i understand you would like have lib so user decide:

• since what terrain height grass/trees/flowers/etc exist
  • slope angle where should be no tress/etc.
  • heat map -? idk - you mean type of trees in areas?
  • terrain stamp - i dont know what you want use it for?

But you will not find ALL of this in one library that exist, at least i dont know any.

But again, you can use ready solutions and extend to have own criteria apply in it.

I can also tell you that “creating seamless grass” looks nice, this idea was suggested me on Discord and i apply it and look it looks nice(no much visible seam between grass bottom and terrain). I just copy terrain color into bottom of grass, you might be interested to do it as well, here video:

Also about Terrain itself, Thanks to Riccardo, there is Parallax version. If you will not find on JME Store(because i belive someone put it there), then here was shader i initially prepared for PBRTerrain shader.

1 Like