Tool for AI performance reporting

I’m building a new AI Engine that makes heavy use of soft-methodologies (fuzzy, genetic, neural).  I’m planning to use this API to create statistical/performance reports from learning simulations.  The statistical reports will be stored as MS Excel files, but a lot of Java game development is done on UNIX/Linux/Solaris which I’m afraid may discourage those developers from using it.

Would like to get your opinion?

Thanks!

Jeff

Excell files works on OpenOffice. Thats one point.

You can implement graphs using jfreechart lib (java) and use iReport for PDFs with or without graphs.

clovis said:

You can implement graphs using jfreechart lib (java) and use iReport for PDFs with or without graphs.

Stole my post!
Jedimace1 said:

clovis said:

Stole my post!
clovis said:

Okay you guys are showing me something ...  I'm going to investigate this some more.  Thanks!  (thumbsup!)

What does POI/Excel give you that you wouldn't get from just using comma separated value (CSV) format to write out the data? CSV has a number of advatages here:

• lighter weight, with no need for any additional libraries (POI);

• Excel (and other spreadsheets) can open CSV files just fine, so you can still access al of the nice charting and analytics functionality; and

• can 'stream' out the data by just appending to the files, can you do this with POI or does it all need to be kept in memory?

... just my

Yeah, plus POI is makes for ugly code.

ianp said:

What does POI/Excel give you that you wouldn't get from just using comma separated value (CSV) format to write out the data? CSV has a number of advatages here:

• lighter weight, with no need for any additional libraries (POI);

• Excel (and other spreadsheets) can open CSV files just fine, so you can still access al of the nice charting and analytics functionality; and

• can 'stream' out the data by just appending to the files, can you do this with POI or does it all need to be kept in memory?

... just my