TUER: Truly Unusual Experience of Revolution, FPS using JME 2.0 & JOGL

Hi!

Obj2Jme does not preserve group names, it creates a separate TriMesh only for each material. Therefore, I now use a material for each kind of wall. However, it is not enough to separate all walls  :frowning: It would be nonsensical to separate walls using the same material by using duplicate materials :frowning:

Hi!

The activity of my project has been very low since June mainly because of personal problems. Moreover, I'm fed up with spending much time in tinkering several engines rather than in my game itself, I can't bear this situation anymore. I have decided to suspend the development of my game for some months in order to take some time to find a better way of reaching my aims.

I have less time and more money. Therefore, I will find a solution that fits into my needs and my abilities. I think that I will pay someone to make a small blueprint of the next version of TUER. This blueprint will look like the current one but it will benefit of the portal culling (a fully working implementation), JOGL 2.0, more than 40 FPS even on low end machines, a minimal system to handle the collisions, it will work reliably even under Windows Vista and maybe it will use another engine (JME 3 or Ardor3D). If you're interested in this mission, let me know as soon as possible.

I will invest my time in developing TUER anew when this blueprint is ready. Maybe I will participate to some other projects until I come back to this. Best regards.

Hi!

Mathias Henze found the bug in the blueprint that uses JMonkeyEngine 2.0, I’m silly, I had put the line that disables DirectDraw into the wrong section in the JNLP file. Please can someone under Microsoft Windows Vista give it a try?

http://tuer.sourceforge.net/experimental/tuer.jnlp

Works fine here. Using Windows 7 64 bit (similar to vista).

Works under Vista sp2 64 bit as well.

Momoko_Fan said:

Works fine here. Using Windows 7 64 bit (similar to vista).

It is a good piece of news. In the past, the game simply crashed under Windows 7.

bosun said:

Works under Vista sp2 64 bit as well.

Thanks. I have just tested at work under Vista 64 bits and it works, there is only a remaining bug when turning, it stays frozen sometimes :(

The version using JME 2.0 is discontinued but I plan to use Ardor3D and JME 3 in JFPSM. Stay tuned.

Hi!

The tiny game editor JFPSM is slowly becoming a bit more user-friendly, it already allows to generate level files very quickly (TUER already relies on JFPSM), I have been trying to implement regular finite grids, irregular finite grids, cells and portals in an engine-agnostic way and only one class needs to be overridden to support a new engine especially for those of the JME/Ardor3D family (it might be more complicated for Java3D, Xith3D and Aviatrix3D). I won't implement another viewer for JMonkeyEngine in the next months (and the portal culling is not handled by JFPSM, it is the job of the engine) but it does not prevent anyone from loading a JME binary file generated by JFPSM. Please let me know if you're interested. It is highly probable that I will implement an "engine service provider" for JME 3 to test this engine with the maps that I already use.

Hi!

Some students still use the JME 2 version of TUER. Therefore, I will fix some minor bugs especially on the build system and maybe back port the collisions system used in the Ardor3D version.

Hi!

I have improved the install procedure of the version of my game that uses JOGL and JMonkeyEngine 2.0, it is now really easy, it is here.

It now uses an all-in-one project containing all dependencies and already configured so that you only have to use the Ant script to build and run the project. In Eclipse, it is even better, launch the “setup-eclipse” target and then you can use Eclipse to debug the project, it configures the path to native resources automatically for all supported operating systems (Linux, Mac and Windows). Solaris will no more be supported when I switch to JOGL 2.0. There is no need to install all dependencies separately which would be particularly complicated in my Ardor3D version.

I think it is a nice solution for newbies. Best regards.

P.S: JFPSM support for JMonkeyEngine won’t be implemented.