Tutorial is out of date

I'm trying to get this jMonkey thing going and I'm having a really hard time. It took me forever to find out what Java SDK/JDK to download (wth is the difference anyways and why can't I find anyone who knows?).

And the tutorial is telling me to use WinCVS to get the source but the tutorial states

First, if you haven't done it already, start WinCVS. A 'Preferences' dialog may appear, which you will need to add some things to. If it doesn't appear, go to: Admin→Preferences

Realize that jMonkeyEngine is not a slap-together game engine and requires a ton of coding… you cannot just "make" a videogame with jME, you have to code it.

The things that the tutorial is asking you to do are all very trivial things, very common to development. CVS is simply a way to get a source-code from a website. I suggest downloading NetBeans and using it as an IDE. It's built-in CVS will be able to download jME and you can even download it with a bundled JDK (which is a very good idea).

You can then Wiki (on this website, not on Wikipedia) how to set up jME with Netbeans.

i completely ignored any tutorial and comment inside the sources. i simply dl'ed jme, created a project and randomly ran main methods. needed about 10-15 minutes from download to a jme window rendering something.

my guess is you have no/not much java experience. am i right?

It took me forever to find out what Java SDK/JDK to download (wth is the difference anyways and why can't I find anyone who knows?).

i know about a jre (can run java programs) and a jdk (including source, compiler and some other stuff). i guess a sdk is a jdk. at least that's what i've been believing the last 6 years, and i managed to get through with this.

Yeah, the tutorials need updated to 2.0. I'm willing to go through and update them. Should I?

Jedimace1 said:

Should I?

Definitely!

OK, but, using the Wiki, we should probably leave the old tutorials. I will probably make a new section if possible(I am new to using Wikis, but it should be easy).

Use the wiki on googlecode instead for 2.0 related stuff?

Who's gonna look there? I already created it before I read this post, because I thought it would be more obvious. Feel free to put it there though and link to it in the wiki, though.

Can always create a secondary wiki (on this site) dedicated to JME2.0 and separate the two. Although using the google site's wiki would be the same, but I'd say it would be more appealing to have it all within the jmonkey site.

Exactly. Already did that. Please contribute.