Tutorials not running properly?

So i just started using the tutorials and none of the programs display anything. Ive done the first 3 successfully (no errors generated) but nothing is in the window when i run the code?

Anyone got any ideas?

does the cube appear when you create and run a basic game project?

update your graphics drivers, and a bit more info, such as OS and java version would help as well

Ok, i wasnt sure if itd be code related or system.

I have windows 7 - 64 bit SP1

AMD Phenom II X4 B55 3.20 ghz processor

8 GB of DDR3 RAM

Crossfired ATI Radeon HD 4800 series Graphics Cards

Java 7 update 3 (i think its 3, i just updated it)

The screen loads in the stat list and FPS count in the lower left corner and is black aside from that.

@wezrule2 said:
does the cube appear when you create and run a basic game project?

What about this?

I know there have been some issues with some people and ATI cards (not sure which models though), have you updated your graphics card? The rest looks fine to me though.

Still not working. I updated my cards and i still only get the black screen and stat lines.

Any error in the window at the bottom? Or warnings?

Post code. Don’t forget to use the java tags.

I get this warning : warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 1.5

1 warning

And the code is word for word and line for line the same as the Hello Asset tutorial code.

[java]package jme3text.helloasset;

import com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication;

import com.jme3.font.BitmapText;

import com.jme3.light.DirectionalLight;

import com.jme3.material.Material;

import com.jme3.math.Vector3f;

import com.jme3.scene.Geometry;

import com.jme3.scene.Spatial;

import com.jme3.scene.shape.Box;

public class HelloAsset extends SimpleApplication

{

public static void main(String[] args)

{

HelloAsset app = new HelloAsset();

app.start();

}

@Override

public void simpleInitApp()

{

Spatial teapot = assetManager.loadModel("Models/Teapot/Teapot.obj");

Material mat_default = new Material(assetManager,

"Common/MatDefs/Misc/ShowNormals.j3md");

teapot.setMaterial(mat_default);

rootNode.attachChild(teapot);

Box box = new Box(Vector3f.ZERO, 2.5f,2.5f,1.0f);

Spatial wall = new Geometry("Box", box);

Material mat_brick = new Material(assetManager,

"Common/MatDefs/Misc/Unshaded/j3md");

mat_brick.setTexture("ColorMap",

assetManager.loadTexture("Textures/Terrain/BrickWall/BrickWall.jpg"));

wall.setMaterial(mat_brick);

wall.setLocalTranslation(2.0f,-2.5f,0.0f);

rootNode.attachChild(wall);

guiNode.detachAllChildren();

guiFont = assetManager.loadFont("Interface/Fonts/Default.fnt");

BitmapText helloText = new BitmapText(guiFont, false);

helloText.setSize(guiFont.getCharSet().getRenderedSize());

helloText.setText("Hello World");

helloText.setLocalTranslation(300,helloText.getLineHeight(),0);

guiNode.attachChild(helloText);

Spatial ninja = assetManager.loadModel("Models/Ninja/Ninja.mesh.xml");

ninja.scale(0.05f, 0.05f, 0.05f);

ninja.rotate(0.0f, -3.0f, 0.0f);

ninja.setLocalTranslation(0.0f, -5.0f, -2.0f);

rootNode.attachChild(ninja);

DirectionalLight sun = new DirectionalLight();

sun.setDirection(new Vector3f(-0.1f, -0.7f, -1.0f));

rootNode.addLight(sun);

}

}[/java]

Do us a favor and run the tests that come with the SDK.

File → New Project → jME3 → jME3 Tests

Run the tests and report back here. Do they work? Try running the same test. Does it run?

Nope. none of them work, but i think its because my asset libraries are messed up in some way. When i open the Libraries folder in my left window (inside my project) i can go down to my C:UsersscottDocumentsjMonkeyProjectsHelloWorldTutorialsassests i find the various folders like Materials or MatDefs or Scenes and they are all empty.

@disrupter52 said:
Nope. none of them work, but i think its because my asset libraries are messed up in some way. When i open the Libraries folder in my left window (inside my project) i can go down to my C:UsersscottDocumentsjMonkeyProjectsHelloWorldTutorialsassests i find the various folders like Materials or MatDefs or Scenes and they are all empty.

Irrelevant... you haven't started using assets yet.

Most likely: your card doesn't support OpenGL2

Edit: though I guess you'd at least get an error in that case.

How can i check if my card supports OpenGL2. I looked online and it says the newest version it now supports is OpenGL 4.

Also, how am i not using those assets when the tutorials are all based around them?

@disrupter52 said:
How can i check if my card supports OpenGL2. I looked online and it says the newest version it now supports is OpenGL 4.

Sounds like your card "should" be fine. I have trust issues with ATI, so I'm not a good judge. Usually you'd get some kind of error in that case anyway... so I'm not sure what's going on in your case.

@disrupter52 said:
Also, how am i not using those assets when the tutorials are all based around them?

The test project already has its assets in a jar. The first tutorials only use assets that are built into the core jars. (For example, the basic tutorial just loads a blue cube and so only needs the Unshaded.j3md material.)

You use assets when you have your own models and textures you want to load.

The tests assets are found in the SDK (sort of), not in the project itself. Don’t worry if the directory is empty.

That card (ATI Radeon HD 4800) supports OpenGL 3.2 with native drivers so it shouldn’t be a problem.

You have to have something running or installed that stops the tests from running. Unsure what.

Anything that seems to involve loading an image into the window that it makes when you run a program doesnt work. Its doesnt display anything unless it takes forever to do so.

Edit: So for whatever reason when i turned anti-aliasing up from 0 to 2x it actually loaded my models into the window and ran fine. Definitely that. works on all anti-aliasing settins but “disabled” (i assume its anti-aliasing and it never occurred to me that disabling it did what it did)

New: Im getting this error when i try to run the Hello Asset tutorial code.

SEVERE: Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5,main]

java.lang.NullPointerException

at jme3text.helloasset.HelloAsset.simpleInitApp(HelloAsset.java:30)

at com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication.initialize(SimpleApplication.java:218)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.initInThread(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:138)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:206)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

I assume something is wrong with like 30, which is (teapot.setMaterial(mat_default);

Ill also note that i do declare mat_default in the line before it and the program doesnt have any other obvious errors.

@disrupter52 said:
Anything that seems to involve loading an image into the window that it makes when you run a program doesnt work. Its doesnt display anything unless it takes forever to do so.

So which ones do work?

Actually most of the tests work fine since i figured out that enabling anti-aliasing matters.

Im getting errors with other things now though. Actual errors that involve uncaught throwable exceptions from different things. Most recently:

WARNING: Cannot locate resource: Interface/Logo/Monkey.jpg (Flipped) (Mipmaped)

Apr 26, 2012 9:08:30 PM com.jme3.app.Application handleError

SEVERE: Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5,main]

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The given texture parameter is not set.

at com.jme3.material.Material.clearTextureParam(Material.java:375)

at com.jme3.material.Material.setTexture(Material.java:417)

at jme3text.hellomaterial.hellomaterial.simpleInitApp(hellomaterial.java:35)

at com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication.initialize(SimpleApplication.java:218)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.initInThread(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:138)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:206)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

This is from the Hello Material Tutorial

“Cannot locate resource: Interface/Logo/Monkey.jpg (Flipped) (Mipmaped)”

Looks like you missed a step in the tutorial.