Version 0.8

Hello jME-coders and all other people on this forum!

I’m new to this forum and at first i want to thank the coders of jME for all your efforts, time and passion you put into your work to make a fine and free game-engine under the BSD licence! A big thank you to you! :smiley:

I’m thinking seriously about making a commercial game and i want to use jME. The possible date to start the development would be January/February next year. And because of i don’t have the time at the moment to look into the cvs version of jME, i have a few quick questions about the actual state of the development of version 0.8. So when someone, perhaps mojomonk, would take the time to answer this questions, it would help me greatfully to plan my work.

So what i want to know is:

1. As mojomonk has mentioned at the beginning of this thread, there are mainly four goals for v0.8:

a) collision trees

b) shadows

c) indoor partioning

d) various other effects (volumetric fog)

What i would like to know is a quick statement (like: done/working on/to do) for these four goals.

2. Is it approximately foreseeable that v0.8 will be released in the next two months or is it clear that it will take up to four month or possibly longer?

3. Is support for multi-textures a goal for v.08?

4. Is support for lightmaps a goal for v.08?

5. As i have read it is planed to integrate odejava into jME. Is it possible to say that this will surely be a goal for v0.9?

6. What i also would love to see is support for normal mapping. So is it possible to say that this will surely be a goal for v0.9?

Thank you for answering!

Best wishes,

justin

Welcome :slight_smile:

I won’t be able to answer all your questions, but here it is :

3) Is support for multi-textures a goal for v.08?

It's already supported :)

4) Is support for lightmaps a goal for v.08?

Not supported directly, but lightmaps only use multi-texturing so you can implement it directly in your game code.

5) As i have read it is planed to integrate odejava into jME. Is it possible to say that this will surely be a goal for v0.9?

Some people here have already made it, you should take a look in the Physic forum...

6) What i also would love to see is support for normal mapping. So is it possible to say that this will surely be a goal for v0.9?

Normal mapping use shaders if I remember, so I think you could be able to implement it... You could take a look at examples on the demos page, there's a great sample of parallax mapping (with shaders), it could help you...

See ya,

Chman

Chman, pretty much covered that well. :slight_smile:

2) Is it approximately foreseeable that v0.8 will be released in the next two months or is it clear that it will take up to four month or possibly longer?

This is a hard one to answer, I certainly hope that 0.8 will be out before the end of the year. But things have been going a bit slower than normal (life events in most all devs lives). Collision Trees is the only thing in that list that are "done". There is still probably a few nasty bugs that need to be found in it as well.

6) What i also would love to see is support for normal mapping. So is it possible to say that this will surely be a goal for v0.9?

Both Bump and Normal Mapping (without requiring shader support) are goals. I'd like to see it in 0.8.

Thank you for your answers :slight_smile:

Normal Mapping would be great!

Best wishes,

justin

FYI: it is stated in the "Future" thread in this forum and on the main page, but in case you missed in… 0.8 has been officially released today.