Version 0.8

What do we want in 0.8.

The issue tracker still has the list of things I forsaw as defining a complete graphics engine (still talking pure graphics here).

One things I wouldn’t mind seeing are:

Collision trees: break models down into a heirarchy to single triangles to allow for very accuracte collisions. Cep you mentioned interest in this?

Shadows, I think the last major effect that is required.

Indoor partioning (BSP and/or Portal)

Various other effects. (1 or 2 misc effects to continue rounding it out).

Continue improving documentation and tutorials.

Those are the 5 things I really would like to see next. What are your thoughts.

I’ll try to take on some of the load this time, I swear. I’ll probably tackle the smaller things for awhile (misc effects).

I’m working on OBB trees now. I’ve also got plans up on being able to take a very complex mesh and auto break it down into smaller meshes with their own bounds for view culling of really large things.

I’ld like to see volumetric fog in .8 as well

Eberly has a huge section regarding OBB trees you might find useful. One thing that I’m curious about is, how easy is it to make trees for any bounding volume? I guess it doesn’t much matter, because the collision checks are as follows:

Check for collisions between bounding volumes (exist). If there is a collision check OBB trees of the two objects.

Volumetric fog is on the to do list, so that’s definately a possibility.

You could make collision trees for anything, boxes just work better and OBB are faster than AABB. I’m thinking I could give all TriMesh a

BoundingTree bt;

ref. TriMesh would have an option of building a BoundingTree if they wanted one, and of course BoundingVolumes would be checked before BoundingTrees.

Octree subdivision would be nice as I need that for AI Pathfinding.

What are the misc effects you were talking about mojo?

DP

I would recomend Collision trees. I would also recomend updating the .xml files (so it can use more jme classes) and The ability to use more then the maximam lights in a scene (I think you can do this by only rendering the lights that afect each node and ignoring the rest.)

I’ll likely be tackling integration with the latest lwjgl and from there, some new examples of swing integration. I’ll also try to take on a major piece of functionality, which one, I’m not sure yet. :slight_smile:

One thing I forgot to mention for 0.8, additional model exporters (if you have it in you Cep). People seem to really be requesting the Doom3 loader. I wouldn’t mind seeing an X loader as well. Those would be “nice to haves” though, so only if you feel like it. And I’m sure one of us could do it if we want it badly enough.

"mojomonk" wrote:
What do we want in 0.8.

The issue tracker still has the list of things I forsaw as defining a complete graphics engine (still talking pure graphics here).

One things I wouldn't mind seeing are:

Collision trees: break models down into a heirarchy to single triangles to allow for very accuracte collisions. Cep you mentioned interest in this?

Shadows, I think the last major effect that is required.

Indoor partioning (BSP and/or Portal)

Various other effects. (1 or 2 misc effects to continue rounding it out).

Continue improving documentation and tutorials.

Those are the 5 things I really would like to see next. What are your thoughts.

I'll try to take on some of the load this time, I swear. I'll probably tackle the smaller things for awhile (misc effects).

The poll needs updating on the homepage, this would make a good poll.

Guys,

I am sure I will come up with more suggestions, but for now here is my wish list:

Cloning of a node
    Skydome
    Water effect
    Terrain collision detection (so the user doesnt sink when walking on un-even terrain)
    Accurate collision detection
    Terrain creation with multiple textures
    More UI widgets such as UI List box, Scrolling text
    [/list:u]
    tomcat,

shadows tend to be quite important in a game engine. At least since an artist point of view.

Lightmaps (statics shadows) if there’s no support yet for sveral uvmapping channels, or multitexturing, could be also done just baking the actual lightmap into the textures…

So, is dinamic shadows what i suppose is lacking.

I’m probably gonna be doing some tiem soon a game with jME, we want it have certain quality, but still be able to load in any low specs machine…

So, if this or any effect requires much hardware, I’d then be using the typical alpha mapped and feathered transparent bitmap in the floor for the character :wink:

But indeed, and engine without shadows for characters, makes em look quite like floating, loose a lot of graphical quality.

Can jME already load an md3? and is it possible to do an animation just using OBJ “keyframes”? Character pooses indeed, in several moments. The engie would interpolate between them…

And does anyone knows if a very low 3d card (like an old i810 (previous to TNT)) will have some support for bones and weights…I know that if that stuff is generated by software, tends to be slow . Most cards today can supportit by hardware; I mean , since the geforce mx generation I think it can.

I’m in the point I know that the best fo rmaking PC games will be including md5 or x format, but curiously , as my friend and I are targetting to very low specs hardware, we may use obj and/or md2…Though i suppose it all gets imported and converted to an optimal internal format.

Forgot to login… :// It was me.

I agree with dsellars.

If an ODE binding is made for Jme, it should be made as an extension of the Jme (like the AI extension DarkProphet is making) and should not be include in the main Jme package. For basic collisions detections, the Jme routines are sufficient :slight_smile:

Chman

Look at http://www.mojomonkeycoding.com/jmeforum/viewtopic.php?t=749.

Me again. I thought I was logged in… ://

One thing that would be nice to have is some sort of state system. I mean, all games need some sort of system to switch between game states.

If mojo wants a can donate the one I maide for my game.

Question will the shadows just seem to fade or appear admist the tiling or will they be affected by the object’s exposure to light?

I’d love to see Java 1.5 (5.0) support :)… but of course that depends on LWJGL.

Hi there.

When can we expect a stable v0.8 release for jME?