VM crash on Linux after removing System.exit from JMESwingTest

Hi there,

(my first post, new here…)

I'm currently working on embedding jMonkey in an Eclipse RCP application (succeeded). Currently, the easiest way I found was by using the SWT AWT bridge that comes with SWT.

I also used the specialized SWTRenderer Monkeyworld3d uses (succeeded) but that involves overriding a lot of classes in JME. I preferred to keep JME intact is much as possible (no changes were required…). It also gave a lot of trouble with the specialized classloader in Eclipse, so I had to do some extra changes in JME.

I used the JMESwingTest (in jmetest.util) example to setup an example scene. I noticed that my SWT Example application and my Eclipse RCP application crash when closing the window containing the JME window.

Going back to JMESwingTest I noticed the System.exit(0) call, when the windows is closed. Removing that call gives me the same VM crash.

I'm running Ubuntu Linux (x86) with Java VM: Java HotSpot™ Server VM (1.5.0_04-b05 mixed mode)

On Windows removing the System.exit from JMESwingTest doesn't produce a VM crash.

Does anyone know a solution to this? I think that if the problem is on the OpenGL side, it's probably in LWJGL, but I'm not sure…

Regards,

Erwin.

Oops, I forgot the report from the VM:

#

An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:

#

#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x8d6e3198, pid=15543, tid=2374196144

#

Java VM: Java HotSpot™ Server VM (1.5.0_04-b05 mixed mode)

Problematic frame:

C  0x8d6e3198

#

An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid15543.log

#

If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp

#

I don't think attaching the whole hs_err_pid15543.log file will appreciated, but will be done on request…

Erwin.

Well not sure with Your custom renderer but if this was on LWJGL i'd say:

Check if the display is closed before quitting the app.

This is the bit from BaseGame:

/**

* Quits the program abruptly using <code>System.exit</code>.

* @see AbstractGame#quit()

*/

protected void quit() {

if (display != null)

display.close();

System.exit(0);

}

Sorry for the confusion, but I'm not using a custom renderer.

The crash happens using a standard jmetest.util.JMESwingTest where I have removed System.exit(0). This to simulate the behavior in my program, where I want to close and open JME windows.

I tried the suggestion to call display.close(), so where JMESwingTest has System.exit(0), I put:

DisplaySystem.getDisplaySystem().close();

This unfortunately still crashes the VM :(.

Well, I'll keep digging. Instead of the LWJGL libs from JME CVS, I'll try to compile them myself. This way I can debug them…

Erwin.

Well, don't know if anybody is reading this, but here is my progress:

Checked out LWJGL from CVS and managed to compile both Java and C parts…

JMESwingTest still crashes with the System.exit(0) removed… :frowning:

I'm starting to consider to do what the crash report says: send it to Sun Microsystems.

I'm sorry that I haven't replied, but I just wouldn't be able to offer much. I really don't know what is causing the problem as I haven't seen it. I am reading this thread though. :slight_smile: So if you determine it's something we are doing, we'll fix it.

I've seen this a lot in the past when using RTT but not with Swing… I'll keep an eye out as well.

I managed to reproduce the error in a pure LWJGL and AWT implementation. So JME is innocent :slight_smile:

I'll head over to the LWJGL forums…

Erwin.