What IDE do you use? (2017)

The idea sorta reminds me of this bus, just in a different area.

1 Like

I would very much like to see the or an SDK be the de-facto standard. Spix sounds ambitious and a kind of ideology. I will have to look at it to opinionate any further. It would be really nice to have a solid setup.

2 Likes

You left off javasabr Space Shift Editor.

1 Like

Iā€™m old school. I still use a programmerā€™s editor and the command line. Iā€™ve used various versions of IDEs over the years and they all eventually boil down to the same thing: I feel like Iā€™m typing in mud because of all of the hooks they put on my typing. If you are used to having this be a non-issue, like zero latency, donā€™t even think about it, for 25-30 years, typing in an IDE is really painful.

ā€œYou could turn off the options and then it would be faster!ā€

Yes, and then I have basically a programmerā€™s editor with refactoring support.

And on refactoring, Iā€™ve found that the projects that I actually really could use that support have so many classes and multi-projects, etc. that it takes over an hour just to index it so that the really cool stuff works. Then Iā€™m inundated with a sea of stuff that is not so easily searchable. It felt like Intelli-J has the best support here but that was exactly my experience. 2 hours to index all of the projects and then another 2 hours to sift through the results for actionable information.

So, I use a programmerā€™s editor (which could launch things like gradle) but then keep several command line windows open in different projects. Edit this file in Sim-math, start the build there, flip back to the editor to edit some other file, recompile that project, fix the sim-math release notes and start a release, flip back to the editor and keep working on something elseā€¦ and so on. All the time being able to see all cascading command line windowsā€™ left margins to track the progress of all of them.

It just fits my style better and to me certainly makes it easier to work on half-a-dozen projects at once.

2 Likes

Itā€™s nice to see the result of the poll so far. The IDEs are actually almost on par (well, netbeans is a bit ahead since the sdk is also netbeans ).
That comfort me in the idea that the gradle way and a sdk agnostic of any IDE is the way to go.

3 Likes

Using Netbeans for Java and C++.
I compile, run and debug my server software on a remote host with GCC/GDB over SSH. Netbeans was the only IDE that could do that without many hassles (back then).
Also works really nice for running stuff on a Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

I really like how inspections and autocomplete work in the IntelliJ IDEA :slight_smile:

1 Like

To everyone saying that they only use Idea because they got a free license, or saying that they donā€™t because it costs money: there is a free version that is more than sufficient for JME. The paid version adds support for things like Java EE. The full details are here.

Also, I would like to note that I am not saying ā€œIdea is best, everyone should use it!ā€ I am simply correcting what I am seeing as a somewhat common misconception here.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t realized Java was in the community version :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Eclipse :green_heart:

1 Like