Where can I get my avatar models

Hi,

I am currently working on a VR project with JMonkey.

I would like to add some avatars, but it would be too much work to design my own.

I thought about using Quake 3 models, because there are many funny models for that floating around on gamer sites. But the md3 models are always broken into several pieces, and the JME loader cannot handle that at this point.

So where can I get human-like models that I can load into JME? Are there any models for other games that I can load into JME?

Thanks for your help!

I found a nice tool: makehuman. You can find it at http://www.dedalo-3d.com/. You can export the model as .obj and then you can load it with blender. So I think there is at least one way to load it with jME. I didnt tested more, because I just dont need it at the moment.

I really don't want to start modeling, I would just like to dump some models into my scene and that's it.

md3 has the split models problem, md2 has messed up lighting.

Can I simply download some finished, animated characters somewhere and load them into my scene?

wooyay said:

I really don't want to start modeling, I would just like to dump some models into my scene and that's it.
md3 has the split models problem, md2 has messed up lighting.
Can I simply download some finished, animated characters somewhere and load them into my scene?

Yea theres problably some around. try turbosquid.com they have alot, ranging from free to moderate to pretty expensive..
I dont think you would find alot of free stuff around, thats the programmers dillema..can code it all but it looks like crap..
I've tried makehuman problem with that is that you can't put any clothes on your characters.

You could also try poser (which has predefined clothes and you can model your avartar as you want, skinny, fat, muscular etc) problem with THAT is that the
avartar has WAY and I mean WAY to many polygons to use in a realtime game (what you can use poser for I dont know lol)
Ive tried decimate poser polygons using blender but it dont come out well because the poser geometry is very poluted in any way and the program as
such is a bunch of bloat but unfortunately and strangely enough it's the only one there is to my knowledge.

Im kind of having the same problem as you, what do everyone else do ?

EDIT  just saw this

http://www.axyz-design.com/