Which is more appropriate for Android Development: JMonkey or libGDX?

I heard that there are some problems can be with JMonkey and for libGDX it Android porting project for Android goes seamlessly, at least it was in the past. How things are now, what is easier and most important more reliable for Android ?

“Dear Coke, I was wondering if you can tell me what the best cola to drink is… thanks.”

But anyway, you haven’t even said what you are trying to make. So who knows?

I’ve seen honest people that was answering as it is on such type of questions. I ask people, not company staffers. I would do 3D, VR.

I am making a car game with jME. It works on desktop platforms and Android.

jME works very well on Android.

I haven’t done VR stuff with jME, so I can’t answer that question.

What type of game do you want to make?

Thanks. 3D, VR. Probably car game too. How much work around should be done to port it for Android ?

I don’t really have a “port” to Android.

I have done the following things:

• Enabled the Android deployment (included in the jME SDK).
  • Changed some Android specific settings (in the mobile folder).
  • Created touchscreen controls (selfmade).

You can change the control method (keyboard, joystick/gamepad, touchscreen) at runtime/ingame.

Answers to this questions are likely subjective, so the best advice is to run the tutorials and see for yourself.

It really depends on the type of game you want to make. In my opinion JME is way better with 3D and LibGdx can be arguably better with 2D (specially since there some nice free 2D scene editors that export to libgdx scenes). But it’s a matter of preference really.

VR (OpenVR) development is possible in jMonkeyEngine without additional plugins. VR for android is possible; Don’t know about daydream, but a GoogleVR plugin is available here: GitHub - nordfalk/gvr-android-jme: JMonkeyEngine integration with Google VR SDK

1 Like