[WINDOWS] JME3 SDK : Error opening OpenGl window

Hello everyone,

I installed the JME3 SDK yesterday on my Linux computer and everything works fine. So i decided to install it on my laptop (which runs windows 7 64 bits), but at the first launch (and all the others) I’ve got those errors :

Error opening OpenGl window !

Error : failed to create display.

Error : java.lang.NullPointerException.

Error : Unknown exception thrown in Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5,IDE Main]

After these errors the IDE just launch it and works fine, but the OpenGl window is just blank. There are only the small buttons at the top of it (such as Toggle cam light and the two others).

So here’s the problem, do you guys have any idea how to fix it ?

P.S.: Please forgive my bad english skills (I’m french…).

Make sure the laptop supports OpenGL 2 and update the driver. If it doesn’t enable OpenGL1 support in the SDK settings. If it does but it still won’t work, first try enabling the heavyweight canvas option in the same settings menu.

First of all, thank for the answer,

It seems my laptop supports OpenGl 2 (it has a nvidia gtx 460M up to date). I tried enabling OpenGl 1, but didn’t fix it, and enabling heavyweight canvas make the SDK unlaunchable (the splash screen freeze at approximately 60-70%) So I’ve reinstalled the jmonkeyplatform to fix it and it fixed the OpenGl problem at the same time… Dunno what happened.

Anyway thank you for the help.

Hi everybody,

i got the same problem, but sadly i can´t get rid of it by reinstalling the SDK.
I am using a Notebook with a GeForce GTX 285M, so OpenGL2 Support should not be a question.
Drivers are up to date and so is the SDK.
I have already tried to use heavyweight canvas and it also ends in the SDK not being able to start.

Any other suggestions / solutions?
Hope u can help me =)

@Mirjang said: Hi everybody,

i got the same problem, but sadly i can´t get rid of it by reinstalling the SDK.
I am using a Notebook with a GeForce GTX 285M, so OpenGL2 Support should not be a question.
Drivers are up to date and so is the SDK.
I have already tried to use heavyweight canvas and it also ends in the SDK not being able to start.

Any other suggestions / solutions?
Hope u can help me =)

Drivers from the manufacturer? Not windows update!
@normen said:

Drivers from the manufacturer? Not windows update!

Of course.

Edit: Whoops double post, sry =(

Same problem here in nightly…

GeForce 540M all drivers up to date (from manufacturer 310.90)
heavyweight canvas active and too.

Anything else?

@machspeeds & @Mirjang If your windows is 64-bit version, may be you installed wrong JDK? Also I recomend to use JDK6 instead 7. Sometimes this can be the source of problem.

Okay, I’ll check up on that. I do have jdk 7, so I’ll install JDK6 later today and check it.

Well, for me that definitely worked. I just installed JDK 6 and set the path, and JME had no problem with the opengl window anymore. Thanks guys!

I’m having this problem with the RC2 build. As soon as JME opens, I get a cascade of opengl errors:

org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: invalid enum (1280)
java.lang.IllegalStateException frameBuffer doesn’t have any renderbuffers attached.

I think those are the errors…it’s hard to get them, because the dialogs do not stop and pile up infinitely until I force-quit the JME. If there is a log of them somewhere, I could post that if it would help.

Because the dialogs are taking the focus, I can’t get to the Settings menu to try OpenGL1. Is there a way to specify that from the conf file, or the command line for JME?

I’m on Windows 7 32bit, and I’ve changed the JME conf to use my 1.6 JDK, but that didn’t make any difference.

I’m on a toshiba laptop, with a Intel GMA 4500 mhd, and the drivers are really ancient (2009). Toshiba shows no signs of ever updating them, and the Intel driver refuses to install. So I’m probably stuck with whatever crappy drivers I have. For what it’s worth, I was able to run JME about a year ago, so hopefully I can get this to work again.

1 Like

Thank you! The use_lwjgl_canvas=true did the trick for me.

I improved the error detection a bit so it doesn’t end up in strange loops and instead does this: (note “hak” would be the exception message ;))

1 Like