WIP: Advanced Vehicles

WIP: Advanced Vehicles

Please understand that this is a work in progress and is updated as my time allows. I made this for fun. It is released as open-source for those that wish to develop a car game and would like to see some kind of demonstration of how to go about developing a car in jMonkeyEngine. Contributions are welcome!

Store Link: https://jmonkeystore.com/3de43b72-ddd9-4fd1-b653-ac79cc56df4e

A (slightly old now) video of the game in action.

An advanced implementation of vehicles for jMonkeyEngine.

This is a work in progress of creating individual parts for a vehicle. Currently implemented (but may not be fully implemented) are:

• Engine
  • Brakes
  • Automatic GearBox
  • Wheel
  • Tyres
  • Suspension
  • Speedometer
  • Tachometer (rev counter)
  • Skid marks
  • Tyre Smoke
  • Engine Audio
  • Vehicle Editor

The tyres use the pacejka formula. Currently only latitudinal forces are applied, but longitudinal code is there. There are probably a few more things I can’t remember.

There are 3 cars to play with (see main class) and a test playground.
Uncomment whichever vehicle you want to play with (in the main class).

Controls:

• WASD : forward, left, brake, right
  • T : Start Vehicle
  • R : Reset Vehicle
  • H : Horn
  • E : Reverse
  • F5 : Change View

Pacejka Data

The project also contains a Pacejka Viewer/Editor so you can create tyre models yourself. This is particularly handy if you want more of an arcade or simulation feel.

Play The Game

Download Link: https://mega.nz/#!rFJwwIYT!NourF1m-AAl4tKGzCxKIeTF1CPqmq5Y8id44V3mTZ-4
Download the game.

• Windows: double-click the start.bat file
  • *nix: Run the start.sh file.

Both do the same thing. They just execute java -jar jme-vehicles-1.0.jar.

Source Code

14 Likes

i thought you will make some final game from it :slight_smile:

because it looks nice. really. i understand its not “natural behaviours”

It can be a simulation if you want to spend endless months perfecting every single number. You could probably get somewhere near without a great deal of messing around. Personally I’m just having fun.

I have included a download link in the main post for those that just want to download and run the game.

1 Like