WIP: Monkey Mania

Hi to all including fellow contenders,

I hope it is not too late to enter the contest and that I have a change to enter.

I only recently read the forum again and saw this competition.

I would like to enter with this idea as a mini game. It will definitely challenge my jME3 skills including the fact that I am no 3d artist. I do have a great amount of jME and Java skills.

Okay, so let’s get down to business. The idea I have is very simple and should be possible in the 2 weeks I have left for the year. Decent 3d graphics arts might not be though.

So you start of in the center of an island in the middle of nowhere send on a mission. The mission is to free monkeys captured by evil scientist. These monkeys are kept in a compound on an island in the south pacific.

You as player will start off with a simple self made weapon which will shoot “bananas”. You must use this weapon to fight your way off the island and freeing as many monkeys as possible.

Of course there will be 3 or more levels before you finish the game. So yeah, this is my idea and please inform me with it is too late to enter.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Not too late to enter the contest IMO, but a slight challenging for you since you have only 2 weeks left to make the game.

I love the idea, simple, thematic and sounds fun.

Thanks,

I forgot to mention that this game will be a third person shooter.

Think of “Guerrilla Bob” from “Angry Mob Games”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TntE55pN_Qc&feature=player_embedded

Same type of game play.
Auto aim, collect stuff, shoot your way through for points and off coarse free the monkeys.

Good luck! You’re not too late. If you need any help with the rules just ask.

Update:

Hi all,

I have made some good progress in the last couple of days.

I have a player with keyboard controls running on a terrain with static spatials on it.

There is also one type of AI character so far in the level an ANT. If you come close to it, it will attack and try to bite you.

Also have some basic models in place.

Here is my first spoiler screen shots!

Screenshot 1

And also

Screenshot 2

2 Likes

wow that was fast, nice!

Cool, looks great!

It was fast, yes, especially if you know that I spend more than 16 hours on it so far.

I now also finished the HUD for the in game display. This includes the Health and Live bars and also the “Ready” dialog and “Game Over” dialog.

Here is screen shot. No good graphics yes. I am not a good graphics artist, well not one at all.

Screen shot 3

Screen shot 4

1 Like

I have a problem.

When I try to paint onto my terrain in jMonkeyPlatform I get this following error box.

Error

Can anyone please assist me? This used to work a few week ago and now I can’t paint.

This is from the error log:

[java]INFO [com.jme3.scene.Node]: TerrainEditorToolNode (Node): Child removed.

INFO [com.jme3.scene.Node]: TerrainEditorToolNode (Node): Child removed.

INFO [com.jme3.scene.Node]: Child (edit marker primary) attached to this node (TerrainEditorToolNode)

SEVERE [org.openide.util.Exceptions]

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Image format: ABGR8

at com.jme3.gde.terraineditor.tools.PaintTerrainToolAction.manipulatePixel(PaintTerrainToolAction.java:259)

at com.jme3.gde.terraineditor.tools.PaintTerrainToolAction.doPaintAction(PaintTerrainToolAction.java:175)

at com.jme3.gde.terraineditor.tools.PaintTerrainToolAction.paintTexture(PaintTerrainToolAction.java:99)

at com.jme3.gde.terraineditor.tools.PaintTerrainToolAction.doApplyTool(PaintTerrainToolAction.java:71)

at com.jme3.gde.core.sceneexplorer.nodes.actions.AbstractStatefulGLToolAction.doActionPerformed(AbstractStatefulGLToolAction.java:66)

at com.jme3.gde.terraineditor.tools.PaintTerrainTool.actionPrimary(PaintTerrainTool.java:51)

at com.jme3.gde.terraineditor.TerrainToolController.doTerrainEditToolActivated(TerrainToolController.java:174)

at com.jme3.gde.terraineditor.TerrainCameraController.doTerrainUpdates(TerrainCameraController.java:153)

at com.jme3.gde.terraineditor.TerrainCameraController.update(TerrainCameraController.java:103)

at com.jme3.app.state.AppStateManager.update(AppStateManager.java:153)

[catch] at com.jme3.gde.core.scene.SceneApplication.update(SceneApplication.java:227)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.runLoop(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:149)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglCanvas.runLoop(LwjglCanvas.java:227)

at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:223)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

INFO [com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay]: EDT: Telling OGL to destroy display …

INFO [com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay]: OGL: Destroying display …

INFO [com.jme3.renderer.lwjgl.LwjglRenderer]: Deleting objects and invalidating state

INFO [com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay]: OGL: Pbuffer has been created

INFO [com.jme3.renderer.lwjgl.LwjglRenderer]: Reseting objects and invalidating state

INFO [com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay]: EDT: Acknowledged receipt of canvas death

INFO [com.jme3.scene.Node]: Tools Node (Node): Child removed.

INFO [com.jme3.scene.Node]: Tools Node (Node): All children removed.

INFO [com.jme3.scene.Node]: Root Node (Node): Child removed.

INFO [com.jme3.scene.Node]: Root Node (Node): All children removed.

test removecom.jme3.gde.core.sceneviewer.SceneViewerTopComponent[OpenGL Window,1,0,786x424,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=,flags=256,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=]

INFO [org.netbeans.modules.parsing.impl.TaskProcessor]: Task: class org.netbeans.modules.java.source.JavaSourceAccessor$CancelableTaskWrapper ignored cancel for 53 ms.

[/java]

very impressive progress so far!

Where did you source your assets ?

Nice, looking great. Is that error happening in the stable version? There have been no changes in stable to the terrain really. Nightly you should simply not use for editing terrain atm.

Thanks for the replies.

Some of the resources I found on the internet. For example some of my models I found under http://thefree3dmodels.com/ and also http://www.blendswap.com/.

Some of the resources I made myself.

Hi to all. I am back with some eye candy.

These next few screen shots is of how far I am with my game.

So far I have a nice menu system in place using nifty gui.

I also have the loading screen and HUD in place.

As far as game play goes, well, it is working as I wanted it to be, accept for some jerkiness when I control the model. As you can see I am now making use of our old friend Ogre… I also have one enemy in place which is an ant. The ant will walk up to ogre and bite it, unless the ogre(you) shoots it.

There is also a resource in place(BANANA) which you the player can collect for health and points.

Please give as much comments as possible.

Thank you.

http://dc455.4shared.com/img/p4YqCt8N/s7/shot5.jpg

http://dc455.4shared.com/img/zoTYHTej/s7/shot6.jpg

http://dc455.4shared.com/img/zlqRr6cv/s7/shot7.jpg

http://dc455.4shared.com/img/TYtuml9J/s7/shot8.jpg

4 Likes

Wow! Nice visuals. I like the way the screen flashes when the player takes damage.

Looking very nice. I love to see jME3 games :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

very nice visuals

look fantatsic

I agree with thetoucher… looks fantatsic :slight_smile:

Very nice . Not bad for a work of a week. The game reminds a bit of Crash Bandicoot :D.