WIP: Salvage Team - RUSH -- Contest Entry

@Conzar said:
Do you think there is a performance benefit for calculating the distance between objects verses using a GhostControl + PhysicsListener?

Performing a distance check yourself should far lighter weight then using the physics, and since your pick-up mechanic doesn't require any actual physical interactions, you're better off saving that performance hit to use elsewhere later on. Optimising a custom distance check will also be a breeze, eg rather than check the distance to every object on every tick, you could check them in sequence, one object per tick and slightly increase the trigger proximity (distance required to pick-up).

And if you want to micro-optimize, you can avoid the (relatively expensive) sqrt calls by doing everything in distance squared.

float minDist = (r1 + r2) * (r1 + r2);

if( distSquared < minDist ) collision

Very nice! The game looks like Asteroids

@thetoucher said:
Performing a distance check yourself should far lighter weight then using the physics, and since your pick-up mechanic doesn't require any actual physical interactions, you're better off saving that performance hit to use elsewhere later on. Optimising a custom distance check will also be a breeze, eg rather than check the distance to every object on every tick, you could check them in sequence, one object per tick and slightly increase the trigger proximity (distance required to pick-up).

Sorry, but the physic may be not lightweight, but it is faster anyway, since the extra load contains several highly optimized algorithms.
You would do a check from any update to the player or similar, or in other words a
O(n) complexity, while the broadphase (DBVT) has a O(log (n)) cost, with much objects the difference is quite visible. (If objects are not moving the actual costs are even a bit lower)

geekdenz has been working on the Menu and HUD system. Here is a screenshot of the new Start Menu!

Any problems with the frame rate?

@EmpirePhoenix don’t get me worng, I wasn’t bashing the physics, just suggesting it’s use in thise case, for basic 2d circle collisions between a handful of objects, was not entirely necassary :slight_smile:

You do raise a very valid point, in more complex situations the highly optimised nature of the physic engine make it an excellent solution.

@Conzar that background image looks great.

@glaucomardano said:
Any problems with the frame rate?

I'm not sure why the frame rate displays 0. But it works fine on my laptop (its a netbook class in terms of cpu/gpu).

I’m having a big problem. So I replaced my video card which was found to be faulty with a new Geforce 560 GTX. I’ve run some benchmarks and the computer system is functioning properly.

In JMP, I can use the scene editor without problems; however, the starting OpenGL window doesn’t show. When I launch our application, its very very choppy even though the FPS is over 3500. Any ideas why this is?

Thanks

Graphic card drivers updated as well?

Yeah, try updating the drivers.

@Conzar said:
I'm having a big problem. So I replaced my video card which was found to be faulty with a new Geforce 560 GTX. I've run some benchmarks and the computer system is functioning properly.

In JMP, I can use the scene editor without problems; however, the starting OpenGL window doesn't show. When I launch our application, its very very choppy even though the FPS is over 3500. Any ideas why this is?

Thanks

Are you running plain beta JMP or one of the more recent stable versions? Beta had a known issue with chopiness... especially at high frame rates.

Edit: though it occurs to me that if that was the problem then FPS would never go above 999.
@Conzar said:
When I launch our application, its very very choppy even though the FPS is over 3500. Any ideas why this is?

I find my jme projects do get choppy at very high frame rates, just try using v-sync. I assume it's just some internal bus that just cant keep up with the volume of frames that are being pushed.

It could be the resolution of float, too.

I’m using the propieratry NVidia drivers (270.41.06).

btw this version is too old for this graphic card. The actual is 28x…

@thetoucher said:
I find my jme projects do get choppy at very high frame rates, just try using v-sync. I assume it's just some internal bus that just cant keep up with the volume of frames that are being pushed.

Yep, vsync solved the problem. Thanks!

This short video shows off the map design that we have been working towards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0tRAHWw11U&feature=youtu.be

1 Like

Added a background image to the map.

https://sourceforge.net/p/salvageteam/tickets/_discuss/thread/1c2559ea/ba47/attachment/Screenshot.png

1 Like

Looking very much like a ‘mini game’, if you get what I mean.