WIP: Salvage Team - RUSH -- Contest Entry

Space junk has been polluting our solar system for many years now. Its a problem for space travelers and satellites alike. Its time to help clean up this mess. Will you help and earn some credits while your at it?

Salvage Team - RUSH is the first mini-game in a series of fun filled physics scrolling games. You pilot a small ship that collects rubbish (bits and peaces) through a hull magnetic system. Its your task to clean up an area. You are scored on the rubbish collected and the length of time it takes to collect.

For this contest, you will salvage just one location. The location has many walls and other obstructions for your spacecraft to bounce around providing an environment that is fun to just fly around. The game intends on utilizing the physics that is integrated with jme3.

This game is inspired by a NES game: Solar Jetman shown below.

http://youtu.be/MaTJAw0QDH0

There are so far 2 developers working on this game one of which is new to jme3. This game is intended as a free software game that will be hosted on sourceforge.net.
6 Likes

Cool! I never heard of the original NES game, looks interesting… Really glad to see that the project is to be open sourced :slight_smile:

Yes, if we can get the game play to be even half as good as Solar Jetman I will be proud.

I’m the other developer btw. :wink:

1 Like

You should make some multiplayer combat of this aswell :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Good Luck :slight_smile: If you need any help regarding the rules, just ask!

Thanks memonick. Do you notice anything that is in this project so far that isn’t within the rules?

No not really :slight_smile:

Created a source forge project here:

Salvage Team download | SourceForge.net

I just committed some code!

Cool reminds me of Jetpack from the Zx Spectrum one or two or thirty years ago!

good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXoBFquThic

I updated our wiki on sourceforge. Also added a bunch of tasks!

Was you who wrote the the story board or was your child?

@glaucomardano said:

Awesomeness ^_^

Voted + for Use Cases. They're concise, but some bulletins in there aren't really necessary for end user (it is helpfull for you to point that out tho).
@glaucomardano said:

I drew them on my 3DS in MyNotebook as a passenger in a car from Wellington to PN.

We have been doing some updating in the past few days and this is where we stand:

• Found an open 3D model for ship and added to the game

• Found an open 3D model for a Trash Can and added to the game - the trash can is a collectible that can be picked up to score points

• Created a 3D model for a warp in/warp out point

• Working on AppState for detecting if the ship can pickup trash cans

• Created a class for parsing game objects from a scene made in the scene editor via the user data information - this is typically where the map parser/importer code would go; however, JME3 makes editing maps very easy so this code is easy to write!

I’ve recently added collision detection for picking up Collectables such as these trash cans. The ship bounces off of these objects which isn’t the preferred behavior. I’m using a RigidBodyControl for each trash can and a PhysicsListener to detect the collisions. Is there a better way? I tried using a AppState that used the collideWidth function, but I’ve read that this only works for Rays and not Sphere or Box bounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-95easFBNQ0

Use a ghost object thats slightly larger than the ship and check collisions with that.

I updated collision detection for collectibles by using a GhostControl on the Collectible Objects.

Enjoy the updated video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqTOioYkk4I&feature=youtu.be

cool, nice work :slight_smile:

You could try setting the mass of the pick-ups super low so they barely effect the ships momentum, or you could try using a GhostControl for them, although I have been warned they may be a bit buggy at the moment.

Do the pick-ups even need to be in the physics space? if not you could simply check the distance from ship to pick-up by subtracting position vectors, and when the distance is small enough you can assume they are touching and trigger your action.

@thetoucher said:
cool, nice work :)

You could try setting the mass of the pick-ups super low so they barely effect the ships momentum, or you could try using a GhostControl for them, although I have been warned they may be a bit buggy at the moment.

Do the pick-ups even need to be in the physics space? if not you could simply check the distance from ship to pick-up by subtracting position vectors, and when the distance is small enough you can assume they are touching and trigger your action.

A GhostControl is being used on each collectible object so that the momentum of the ship isn't effected.

The pick-ups don't need to be in the physics space. I started out creating an AppState that checked for collisions in the update method; however, I was using collideWith method and was unable to detect since it only works with a Ray and all objects are using Sphere Bounds.

Do you think there is a performance benefit for calculating the distance between objects verses using a GhostControl + PhysicsListener?
@Conzar said:
Do you think there is a performance benefit for calculating the distance between objects verses using a GhostControl + PhysicsListener?

Probably, depends on the number of objects though. But normally I'd go for the direct distance calculation if its available.