Wtf Site Navigation

What the hell hapend to the good forum button?

Not that I can’t find the Thread where this belongs.

But also i have to click every damn subcategorei to see if anything new is written.

I really want to have the Forum button back , where I just click and see every post in every forum just sorted by their time.

It’s in the home menu now, you have Forum Index and Latest Forum Topics

on a not unrelated note whats happened to the “Free 2D/3D models” link under JME 2 documentation, it points to a single site now , what happened to the big list? :frowning:

You’r probably looking for this one eh?

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/links/

If you’ve got some good links that aren’t there already, feel free to add them. There should be a submission box displaying down at the bottom of the page.

Sorry about the mixup, thanks for notifying :slight_smile:

Oh and @EmpirePhoenix I think I want the “Forum” button back too, just not with all the links attached as before. We’re experimenting with different menu set-ups to find the right balance between a more oversightly forum structure and manageable menu. Feel free to make suggestions for new set-ups.

cheers erlend :slight_smile:

Before was better, now…

The “Latest Topics” header on the right is now also clickable to get to the forum overview.

Dreigas said:
Before was better, now...

Well, without any suggestions this input is not very helpful.

My suggestions is pretty “back to basics”:

I think a re-organisation will in order by the time BuddyPress’ “Groups” functionality has matured more.

1 Like

This menu looks slick but does not work, theres too many items missing. Also some people complained about the sub-menus… We want some of the groups to be development hubs in the end, I think they need some better placement…

I iterated on the menu according to the draft I posted here. A couple changes have yet to come:

“tour” - A page I will make to introduce newcomers to the wide functionality offering of this new site.

Projects: Commercial, Open Source, Affiliates => Games, Tools, Affiliates

We started the “commercial” list with the idea that it would act as a comprehensive list of successful jME projects that speak to the quality of our code. This list will now be replaced by a dedicated showcase page. I think the “Games” and “Tools” categorization will give visitors more incentive to check our lists out.

“download” - Another new page I plan to make. Our download process is rather unintuitive at the moment, so I’m planning to change that.

Personally, I think nobody will recognize the menu item itself is a link if theres a menu popping up below it… Thats why I doubled all those items in the menu.

normen said:
Personally, I think nobody will recognize the menu item itself is a link if theres a menu popping up below it.. Thats why I doubled all those items in the menu.

I'm not sure I agree with you on this, my first instinct is usually to click the top level of a menu as it usually gives you the most information. We also have the idea of consistency going for us now rather than the old Joomla menu where clicking some of the top-level items didn't nothing while others brought you to a section..

How about splitting it,

have the forum button and below a arrow, that on hover pops up the detaild menu?

EmpirePhoenix said:
How about splitting it,
have the forum button and below a arrow, that on hover pops up the detaild menu?
Yeh that'd work to, but it's more work, and frankly, I think this set-up is pretty conventional.

First item in drop-down is not a link? That's never what I expect. When I see my mouse change into a "click-finger", I figure it's clickable...

Well actually I only figured it out by accident as well.

How about

using as it is, but have the forum as well in the down list for the ones who don’t get that they can click it? Aka

Forum

General Forums

Jme3 dev

bla

blah

blah

EmpirePhoenix said:
Well actually I only figured it out by accident as well.
How about
using as it is, but have the forum as well in the down list for the ones who don't get that they can click it?

Sorry, but I'm still not following you. If you could just type together a complete Forum drop-down hierarchy it would be a lot easier to understand what you mean.

The top-most "Forums" link is already replicated in "latest topics". You'll see it's the same link.

Oh right, well thats exactly what i meant

I think there’s some confusion about what Forums Index is supposed to be. How about something like “All Categories” or something?

Yeah, “All Categories” sounds pretty universal. I’ll change it.