3d Endless Running

Hey guys! It’s been a long time since being on the hub again nagging at you guys! But I’ve got a question.

I’ve looked through the web and seen 2d endless runner games. I couldnt find any source codes on 3d endless runners. So, I’m come to ask the hub. Does anyone know of 3d endless runners? How does that z axis play a significant role?

I’m not sure what you mean. A 3D runner is just a 3D game. What part aren’t you sure about?

I’ve looked at some of the 2d code on an example for endless running. The correct question here is: Is there really any difference between 3d and 2d infinite running games?

There is really no significant difference, both styles work the same, you just have an extra axis of movement.

I think it would mostly affect the decisions you make about level design, aside from giving the player the ability to dodge obstacles by moving left/right in addition to jumping.

Even though temple run and other runners like crash bandicoot (or even cubefield) are 3d games, I’d say they feel pretty close to a 2d runner since you still follow a limited path - aside from the occasional option to turn left or right at some points in temple runner.

So I guess you could also make a much less restricted route for a runner game with 3d as opposed to 2d.

1 Like

The only real issue at all is writing a true 2D game like Mario. It is 2D in the sense there is no Z axis but it does have layers just like a desktop window environment or sheets of paper - or a Z index if you prefer.

That in itself isn’t really an issue at all. JME supports that workflow. The biggest issue is trying to use a 3D physics engine (bullet) in a 2D environment. It’s possible but it’s like trying to balance 2 sheets of paper on top of each other. You will end up fighting against it so often it becomes a genuine issue, not to mention the wasted calculations in the third dimension that the physics engine will do anyway.

If you want to make a genuine bonafide 2D game then use Box2D or whichever 2D physics engine you prefer. It will save you untold lengths of time and stress.

Other than that, runner games like subway surfer, temple run and all the others are genuine 3D games with limitations on how the “player” can move. So it’s only the controlling of the player that differs here. The rest is the same.

And depending on how complex your game is I would argue against even using a physics engine at all. On the surface it seems completely overkill to me. And if you’re developing for mobile you should definitely take that into account for what is essentially just intersect collision that doesn’t take a huge time to work out in itself.

3 Likes

Thanks so much you guys. I believe my question is answered here! :slight_smile: