A simple example of ploting points in 3D

Can someone provide me with an example of how to plot , say 10000 random 3D points with x,y,z of range 0…100 in Jmonkey.

Thanks

this is trivial… read the tutorials and figure it out.

Give a man a fish…

That was not very professional

If you were paying someone to answer, then you could knock them for “not being professional”

As it is, Jmonkey is a community where we collaborate and help people out, provided you have done at least a little bit of research and effort… perhaps if you got started implementing and had pointed focused questions you would find the JME community a more helpful resource to you…

http://www.mikeash.com/getting_answers.html

This is in the exmaples in the wiki and in the tutorials mostly explained.

Point mehs, line mesh or any other custom mesh.

Even a heighmap could be used for this.

First of all you should decide on whichw ay you want to go ( accuracy vs speed mostly)

Then of course the tutorials are important, I know they are annyoing if you just want to get work done fast, but we want that as well, instead of answering the same questions again adn again

The only reason that I turned to JMonkey is because java3D is no longer the main focus of SUN and there is no actively updated and (supported) API for plotting 3D points cloud in Java. People suggested me to use Jmonkey instead of java3D for that simple task and I wanted to first see if that is really the right path to take

Wait a second, i transfer the knowledge about JMonkey directly into your brain.

: ) ) … to all of you funny guys, seriously: if you wanna help me to decide between java3D and jMonkey leave a comment otherwise I dont think this forum is for your irrelevant responses. At least I know I used this forum for a legitimate reason and you…

1 Like

If you are trying to decide between Java3D and jMonkeyEngine, then I can make it easy for you.

Java3D is horrible, I have used it for about 3 years, the layers of abstraction are so thick that you will learn little about graphics while producing rather slow and ugly results.

I also code in Ogre3D at work, and I must say of the 3 graphics engines I have used, jMonkeyEngine is by far my prefered one, to an extend that I feel rather depressed when ever I have to code graphics in anything else, simply because I think “this would have been soo much easier in jME”.

And if you are interested in if jME is able to draw 10.000 points then I can tell you I once drew 300.000 particles on my laptop. ( Yes this is a particle system with 300.000 points and not a surface. )

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/227/7/b/nurbs_surface_1_by_nihalstudio-d46mzrh.png

On that note, Java3D doesn’t even have a particle system.

Also, if your only requirement is to plot some points in 3D then I would use a simpler tool such as MatLab. Starting out with a graphics engine is a bit of an overkill, unless you need it rendered real time.

3 Likes
@nihal said:
If you are trying to decide between Java3D and jMonkeyEngine, then I can make it easy for you.

Java3D is horrible, I have used it for about 3 years, the layers of abstraction are so thick that you will learn little about graphics while producing rather slow and ugly results.

I also code in Ogre3D at work, and I must say of the 3 graphics engines I have used, jMonkeyEngine is by far my prefered one, to an extend that I feel rather depressed when ever I have to code graphics in anything else, simply because I think "this would have been soo much easier in jME".

And if you are interested in if jME is able to draw 10.000 points then I can tell you I once drew 300.000 particles on my laptop. ( Yes this is a particle system with 300.000 points and not a surface. ).

Thank you, that was helpful
@nihal said:

Also, if your only requirement is to plot some points in 3D then I would use a simpler tool such as MatLab. Starting out with a graphics engine is a bit of an overkill, unless you need it rendered real time.

Also I have been using Matlab and even integrated it to our Java code however:
1- It is slow
2- we want to code everything in Java and provide the 3D viewer as part of our jar solution to our costumers (desktop and web solution)
3- means we want our costumers be able to use a browser like I.E to be able to draw their points cloud in 3D in a browser ( like Java applet)
4- as well, for them to be able to grab the mesh, rotate it, pick a single pint and measure its distance from the origin etc.

@nihal provided a pretty looking example :slight_smile:

jME can totally handle it, this is a screenshot of some work I was doing with topography data two or three years ago (generate the mesh in real time in jME, fly around it for a while, export to OBJ, view in Maya)

http://skyebook.net/img/mayacanyon.png

jME is where you want to be :smiley:

Thank you :slight_smile:

@waterfrvilla said:
: ) ) ... to all of you funny guys, seriously: if you wanna help me to decide between java3D and jMonkey leave a comment

That wasn't your question, perhaps if this had been your original question (instead of, "do this for me cause i can't be bothered to") you would have received a little more cooperation

A jme app you can deploy to windows, osx, linux and even android… So I say make it 100% jme (no swing etc) and you’ll be a happy camper for a long time.

1 Like
@normen said:
A jme app you can deploy to windows, osx, linux and even android.. So I say make it 100% jme (no swing etc) and you'll be a happy camper for a long time.

Thanks and that is nice that you and other developers of jme are watching the forum. However, it would be very nice if you could comment on this too: Since we are evaluating jme to see if it can serve as a stable ( and more up-to-date) approach to develop tools to visualize 3D scattered points etc, our concern is that as opposed to java3D, unfortunately we could not find many samples available for jme3. That is what scares us a bit.
@waterfrvilla said:
Thanks and that is nice that you and other developers of jme are watching the forum. However, it would be very nice if you could comment on this too: Since we are evaluating jme to see if it can serve as a stable ( and more up-to-date) approach to develop tools to visualize 3D scattered points etc, our concern is that as opposed to java3D, unfortunately we could not find many samples available for jme3. That is what scares us a bit.

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3#tutorials_for_beginners

@sbook we have seen it and that’s only from jme official website. It yet dosent mean jme3 is popular compared to java3D for which we can find samples all over the net.

That is not the question you just asked.

If what you’re looking for is unmaintained documentation of varying ages and up-to-dateness then Java3D has some great resources. Remember that Java3D has been around for much longer than jME3. If you poke around the net for jME1&jME2 tutorials, you’ll find them in places beyond our website.

That said, we encourage folks to contribute to the documentation here as jME is truly an open and community-based project. This “official” website is 100% community maintained, run entirely on donated hardware, electricity, and bandwidth. Much documentation is written by core-team members, much is also written by interested contributors. We embrace the community and want the documentation all in one place. Is this an issue for your team?

2 Likes

The question is if we code our work in jme3 and provide it to our costumers, will they be able to understand it and change it easily? can they get help from popular forums like what happens for java3d or they have no choice but to get back to us, and give us a call to help them understanding jme! I had a very simple question to find out this ( indirectly) , but I got all different kinds of comments, of course many of which helpful, but despite that everyone claims it to be trivial, no one provided a simple 4-5 lines of code. This wouldn’t have happened if we had asked it for java3D, right?