Accessing mesh objects in models

I have a car model linked to bones system for animating the wheels. what I need to know is if it is possible to access individual components of a 3ds model, didn’t do any kenetics and constraints stuff with the bones as I am not keen on doing any that the format will just ignore.

what I would like to have the bone based suspension react to terrain changes but this is not important now, what I need to know is 3ds the right format for what I’m trying to do or should use something else

I’ve done it by exporting the object in sections - e.g. I had a character exported as head, torso and legs. This meant I could assign each export to a separate node inside jME, all assigned to the same single parent node. Welding them together was a bit of a pain to position them correctly, but you only have to do it once. This meant I could play the animation for the torso - to reload for example - irrespective of whether the character was walking or not.

I had a character exported as head, torso and legs.
although I am fairly new to all things 3d, that is something I dont really like to do "especially with character models" that's one of the reasons I wish cep could do a simple example of using bones controller manually, that couple with the fact that my car example will prove difficult for a rank amateur like myself, if I was to do it that way, renanse had suggested something similar in a post a while back, but made it quite clear it may not be easy to acheive.

I’ld use spatial controller in that kind of example, if you can split up the model. Each piece should become its own TriMesh if it’s grouped that way in the 3ds file. Take a look at the XML of the model to see how it’s gettting saved.

Take a look at the XML of the model to see how it's gettting saved.
how do I do that

Each piece should become its own TriMesh

the wheels and body are seperate the suspension is composed of 7 bones, 3 each for the front and rare axils with one in the center linking all parts so it might be possible, but I need a bit more information on apply the controllers

thanks in advance

Convert the jme format to XML with the class BinaryToXML

thank you